Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SoooSLOWLoading

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK I want to try something just as a experiment. Boot into Safe Mode and let me know how fast it boots up.

Advertisements

amnbca

amnbca

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Good Morning once more.
No one said that we, in spite of good educations, pay attention to details ... read what is written. I DID NOT! I did NOT run Autoruns as implied because I couldn't find it so just went into msconfig last night and unchecked. This morning I DID LOCATE AUTORUNS AND DID RUN IT AS REQUESTED ... CORRECTLY FOR A CHANGE, and the results were encouraging. Load time, using the same criteria as the last few posts DECREASED!
The main scrn appeared after 5 min 10 sec. and notepad loaded within the 6 min mark (avast was still updating).
APOLOGIES for not paying attention.
I will now move to the next phase of Safemode and let you know the results.
Continued thanks

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
:D

amnbca

amnbca

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Have done a safe load 3 times and the load times were longer. NOw that could have been a consequence of my holding down the F8 key too long but all load times were in excess of 7 minutes. Having said that, I reloaded now (in normal load) and load time was in the 5 min. 10 sec. range. The time it took to load in safe mode seemed excessive based on passed experience (memory) but that could well be that I have not had to do it for a couple of years.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Safe Mode will take longer because it is not loading the special drivers but has to load generic drivers and stop all services and startups that normally start in Regular mode.
Now I want to try a experiment. Go into Msconfig Startups and uncheck Avast
Restart and let me know if your startup is faster. Do not go online unless you recheck the Avast so that your system is protected.

amnbca

amnbca

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
QUICK QUESTION. When I have done the msconfig unchecks and then reloaded, then go to msconfig again (as a check cycle) those we unchecked are now checked. Is that normal? (((When we did so in autoruns they did NOT reappear ....!)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK if I'm understanding they reappeared when you unchecked them in Msconfig. When you did the Autoruns it stayed unchecked correct?
If so then it sounds like something didn't go right with the msconfig steps.
The only entry or entries i want you to uncheck is anything to do with Avast.
Make sure you click OK when you have unchecked the entries. This should tell you to reboot then. If not reboot and let me know what the boot time is then.

amnbca

amnbca

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
TRIED TO DO AS REQUESTED (rebooting after uncheck in msconfig/start... ! Avast started in any case as did HP Digital Imaging Monitor both of which were "unchecked" when I shut the restart was done.????????? Obviously I am doing something wrong because one suspects that in spite of the best of endeavours the msconfig/start is not stopping the unchecked pgms as logic says (to me) it should. Am I offtrack in that thinking or is a misunderstanding of how it works.
In the Taskbar ... bottom right the following are on: HPDigitalImaging; Avast(updating as I type); Wireless Internet Connection: Synaptics Pointing Device; Local Area Connection; Local Area Connection Unplugged (we are working on wireless not directly from the router etc where we are at present; Toshiba Virtual Sound; Volume; On AC Power.
Hope there is some helpful info here for you ... and you do have the patience of Job!
ahnbca thanks
Your reply above came as I was typing this but to confirm ... I Just unchecked Avast in msconfig and rebooted. When opening msconfig/start at that point avast was checked in spite of having unchecked itAND it was running.

Edited by amnbca, 17 October 2010 - 10:57 AM.

amnbca

amnbca

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
OK. CAN CONFIRM RESTART AS PER UNCHECK OF AVAST.
Load time was 6min40sec and ..... avast was running and doing an update. All of the items in the lower right taskbar were present. Avast had been unchecked and computer automatically asked for restart (which is how the above 6:40 time was arrived at.
If you have any hair left after pulling it out trying to deal with this issue you are a "good man"
Appreciate your efforts
ahnbca

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK I'm not sure the bottom right side you are referring to.
Do you have a XP installation disk since that is your OS?

Advertisements

amnbca

amnbca

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Another question if I may. Was thinking about when I logged in using safe-mode. It offered me 2 choices of login ... Toshiba and administrator. Now the computer has only been used as Toshiba and the opening screen has never presented the option of administrator to me on the login page or when one selects the switch user button. In fact if one does so the only choice offered is Toshiba.
The question then: Would it make any difference if I logged in using safe mode, selected administrator (if it again presents that option in safemode) and tried doing any of the things we are attempting?
I know enough about computers that it is usually the people like me who think they know something that create problems for themselves because of half-knowledge.

amnbca

amnbca

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
By bottom right side I me the Task Bar where the programs having started up are listed (the little orange round ball of avast twirlling, the speaker for volume etc etc. On the left side are the programs one might choose to quick start ie Win Explorer, Firefox, Media Player.

As to the second question about the start up disks for Windows ... will have to take a look. We are at a cottage in Thunder Bay Ontario rather than at home. (this is where this computer "...lives...") but the disks ... will look and get back to you.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK the startup side of the taskbar is what you are describing and if avast still shows up there after turning it off in MSconfig then it did notwork like i was wanting.
The disks you are describing are most likely the Recovery Disks and would not work anyway for what I was thinking.

At this point i have seen nothing to cause the issue you are having short of a infection of some sort.
If the steps for msconfig did not turn things off as you described then something is stopping that from happening. The other option is to do the Autoruns again and look through it for other entries that may be causing this now.
Please rerun a new Autoruns log and attach it to your next post.

amnbca

amnbca

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Did as requested 2x ... the first time using autoruns with TOSHIBA log on (the normal ... only one used) and the second time I saw one could select administrator .. did so and rebooted a second time. Thus the results below (ATTACHED) are two separate autoruns and two separate reboots each having used a different authorit in autoruns.
The time for the Toshiba start was 6:50 full load and avast still there plugging away.
The time for the Administrator start (autorun restart) was 7 minutes and .... yes avast was there and working in each case.
(and his friend the clock and paper recording the minutes ticking by) Hey got to have a little humor here. My wife thinks we are both crazy.
Thank you ahnbca

having a problem here with adding attachments ... will send them asap

amnbca

amnbca

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
attachments/autorun files from ahnbca
sorry internet connection problem unrelated to what we are doing