Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

"System" Process Taking Up LOTS of memory

• Please log in to reply

Phillip62

Phillip62

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi.

My "System" process takes up insane amounts of memory round the clock. I've seen it using up to 109,160 K of memory, as it is that high right now. Any reason WHY it takes up so much memory?

I'm running Windows XP Professional.

Thanks.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Ctrl, Alt, Del to Task Manager
Click the Processes tab pls and then click the Mem Usage sub tab to place it in order.
Then attach it as a screenshot, like mine pls. You may need two to fit them on, but one will only have a couple missing, so you can just add those in type.
Save your screenshot as JPEG as it defaults in Paint of course to BMP and that is too large for attachment

Edited by Macboatmaster, 15 October 2010 - 04:37 PM.

Phillip62

Phillip62

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi.

Here are the pictures you requested. The "Attach" option said it was too big to attach to there. So I uploaded it and resized it. Hopefully it should work.

Spoiler

Thanks.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
When did you install Tune-Up utilities please and does this by any chance coincide with the problem date.

Start in clean boot please, you have far too many processes running which are unnecessary and simply using resources.
http://support.micro....com/kb/310353/

Edited by Macboatmaster, 16 October 2010 - 12:01 PM.

Phillip62

Phillip62

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I installed Tune-Up sometime in July, but I believe this problem was here before I installed it. Why?

Here they are.

Spoiler

Thanks.

Edited by Phillip62, 16 October 2010 - 06:19 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Because a part of Tune-Up is a registry cleaner and defrag of the registry and these are NEVER a good idea. The registry unless it is corrupted should be left alone. If you are in any doubt about the wisdom of using a registry cleaner please see the link in my signature notes.

If it is the paid edition then I do not suppose for one moment of time you wish to uinstall it. If it is the free edition I suggest you get rid off the computer. HOWEVER I do not believe it is the cause of the high use of memory.

PLEASE NOW GO BACK and reconfigure for Normal start-up. I wanted the clean boot to see if the ram usuage was vastly reduced.

Download this please - autoruns
http://technet.micro...s/bb963902.aspx
and this HiJack
http://free.antivirus.com/hijackthis/

Click on Start > Run > and type msconfig.

Under the Startup tab, you will see all applications loaded every time you start the computer by unchecking all unnecessary applications., the system will load far quicker. To ensure you ONLY uncheck the correct items use the guidance below having installed and run autoruns

Run Autoruns and select the Logon tab.

Under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run, you'll see all the applications running at Startup. Simply uncheck the items you don't need.

Use these three websites to help you decide which items to uncheck:

Simply copy and paste the .exe files you see at the end of your HijackThis log's 04 (Startup) entries one by one.

1- System Lookup (you can paste the whole 04 entry)
http://www.systemloo...ists.php?list=2

2- PC Review - Startup Files Database
http://www.pcreview....e&Submit=Submit

3- Startup Applications List
http://www.sysinfo.o...osoft WinUpdate

Remember, a lot of applications can be started manually when needed.

A list of names and files will appear. At the end of each entry, you'll notice a symbol:

Y = Normally leave to run at start-up

N = Not required - often infrequently used tasks that can be started manually, if necessary

U = User's choice - depends whether a user deems it necessary

X = Malware, spyware, adware, or other potentially unwanted items

? = Currently unknown status

Make sure to choose the correct information in the list, relating to the actual programs installed on your computer.

Example:

Copy the following entry from your HijackThis log:

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTTask.exe" -atboottime

Paste it in this website: 1- System Lookup

Now here is what you get. On line #7, you'll see the Name (QuickTime Task), the Filename (Qttask.exe), the Description and at the end of the line, you'll see a N, meaning Not required - often infrequently used tasks that can be started manually, if necessary. So, you can without a doubt uncheck it from your Startup list.

After rebooting, when the small System Configuration Utility window appears, ignore the message. Put a check mark in that window, then click OK.

Some Services may also be disabled.

Simply paste your HijackThis log's 023 (Services) entries in the following website:

System Lookup

Then, after deciding which Services to disable,

click on Start > Run > type services.msc

Scroll down to the chosen service and double-click on it. Change the Startup type from Automatic to Manual.
With acknowledgement to various sources

CAUTION DO NOT ON ANY ACCOUNT USE ANY FIX OR OTHER FACILITY IN THE HiJack This results.You are using that ONLY to achieve the desired result in startup and services.msc.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 16 October 2010 - 08:21 PM.

Phillip62

Phillip62

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Could you repost the link please? It's not linking.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Yes realised it had not appeared, was still working on the others. Sorry about the delay.
When you have done all that and I am signing off now, please post back with the details of the AVG programe - which edition please and is it the free or the purchased.
I know a lot of people like AVG, but it is a very heavy user of resources.
Parts of AVG actually result in an increased use of ram under system , as you have, but not usually this amount.

Phillip62

Phillip62

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi.

Can you clarify on what you want me to do please? I disabled the services and startup programmes that I didn't need. Is that all?

My AVG is Internet Security 9.0 Full and it is paid. What alternatives do you suggest instead of AVG?

Thanks.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
So what please do you now have loading automatically on StartUp
WhatI wanted you to do, was to work your way throught that extensive post I sent, disabling or setting to manual all items in services.msc that were shown on system lookup as suitable for that action and the same with the StartUp.

If that is what you have done you now should have only 2 or 3 items in StartUp as per my screenshot.
Obviously not exactly the same as you will have AVG for instance instead of my msse (Microsoft Security Essentials)

The object of the exercise is so that we can then ascertain, as accurately as possible why System is using so much, mine uses 240K.
My recommendations.
1. Presuming you have the product key or whatever it is called and can reinstall it - UNINSTALL the TuneUp Utilities.
ESTABLISH a restore point first.
I have no idea if this program has its own uninstall or if you have to use Control Panel Add/Remove programs OR inded if you will encounter problems. I would not be at all surprised if you do.

2. WITHOUT of course connecting to the net, disable all AVG services.

and then check Task Manager. mem usage for System.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 18 October 2010 - 05:28 PM.

Phillip62

Phillip62

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi.

I un-installed and re-installed Tune-Up last night. Today when I went on my computer, my "System" process is taking up 48 k of my memory. I do not know if that affected it but I will post back if the problem re-appears again.

Thanks for all your help!

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Please take my advice. It is your computer so of course you do not need to follow this advice if you do not wish to.
Tune Up Utilities includes a registry cleaner and defragger.
DO NOT USE IT. In case you missed it see the opening para of my Post 6.
If you do choose to use the registry cleaner etc. , I hope I am wrong, but there is every chance you be posting back with a problem.

AVG 9.0 now has an update I believe to AVG 2011. They have inclued a registry optimizer or some such name. Do not use that either.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 18 October 2010 - 05:32 PM.

Phillip62

Phillip62

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Speak of the devil.

When I checked today, it was again at 109,000 K.