Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Maxtor One Touch 4Plus - Storage not backup

• Please log in to reply

UnQuotidian

UnQuotidian

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi Again,

I'm on a 2006 MacBookPro running Snow Leopard.

I have a Maxtor One Touch 4Plus external hard drive. I have it set up to automatically sync with my computer whenever I turn it on. I've used it so far only as a backup. I also use Time Machine. (Forgive my ignorance, I'm honestly not sure how my One Touch automatic sync differs from my Time Machine backup, but whatever. As long as I'm backed up...)

I'd like to move some music and image files off my laptop altogether to free up some space. I want to store those files, and possibly itunes altogether, on the external drive. My concern is that when the external drive attempts to synch w my laptop, it will find the image and music files gone, and could possibly overwrite those files, deleting them entirely from both devices.

So, my question is: How do I move music, images and possibly itunes off my computer altogether, onto the external hard drive, while ensuring that I don't lose them or erase them during a synch/backup?

Hope that makes sense. Thanks!

Advertisements