Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Complex malware infection beyond my understanding

• Please log in to reply

purplepigeon

purplepigeon

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey,

I'm a fairly experienced and competent user and I'm absolutely convinced my system is infected. I ran MalwareBytes, SpyBot, CCleaner, and scanned with AVG. It managed to remove a few Tracking Cookies here and there, but I know theres much more than that.

A system restore was performed, yet a host of problems still remain like:
(1) Google chrome won't load a single page, yet all other browsers operate fine
(2) When I try to run .exe files, I get an error saying "The Pipe State is Invalid"
(3) I spotted winlogon.exe and csrss.exe (which i've never seen before) using the task manager and can't end them, I get another error saying "Access is denied". It's also worth noting that the Description and User Name boxes are left blank. I can however end every other process with ease. On a balance of probability, these two are malicious.

I followed the instructions provided on this forum such as to download the GMER rootkit thing, OTL, and ComboFix, but as (2) says, "The pipe state is invalid". I have absolutely no clue where to go from here.

I'd appreciate any help I can get, thanks!

Edited by purplepigeon, 15 October 2010 - 01:48 AM.

Advertisements