Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

explorer.exe stays at 100 % processor

• Please log in to reply

sebastian___

sebastian___

• Pip
  • 6 posts
In task manager, explorer.exe frequently goes to 100 % processor and stays that way. The thing is that not allways happend that way. Only sometimes when I suspect the PC is running slow, I look in task manager and usually explorer.exe is using all the processor. The only solution I have is close the explorer.exe and start again. Sometimes when I start again the explorer.exe it doesn't go again with using all the power. But sometimes no matter how many times I start the explorer again, it still goes up. And then , I close the explorer, and I continue working without explorer.exe. You can start any program just fine only with task manager. I also have the same problem on the laptop (but it doesn't happen so often). So I think it's just some bug in WinXP.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
thank you for starting a new thread.

winxp pro or home?

sebastian___

sebastian___

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
WinXP Pro. Pentium 4, 3 GHZ HP, 1 GB Ram. I don't believe it's some spyware or something, because that computer was never connected to the internet, and this problem is not always. Sometimes I work a whole day without any problem.
My other computer is a laptop with WinXp Pro. I think with Pentium 4 Mobile (but I'm not sure). And in that laptop, the problem apear even less. But I also work less with that laptop.
I search the net , and found other users with the same problem. So I think it's some bug in WinXP. I hope someone will come with a solution eventually.
I have a third computer with Pentium 1 933 Mhz and 512 Ram and Windows 2000 Pro. I use this one for internet. And even that all the computers are connected with lan, this one never got that problem. It seems to be much more stable (despite the Pentium 1 processor).
I'll never used WinXp in the first place, but unfortunatelly I work with some software wich require WinXP.

Edited by sebastian___, 26 May 2005 - 06:36 AM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
next time it does that,

start > run, type
tasklist > tasks1.txt
enter

then

start > run, type
tasklist /svc > tasks2.txt

now look in c:\documents and settings\{profile} (yours), and open those two files (tasks1.txt and tasks2.txt and post them here

sebastian___

sebastian___

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Sorry I didn't reply for so long . But I was waiting for the problem to appear again - and strangely it didn't. I now manage to identify what actions causes the problem to appear. When I work with Adobe Premiere 6.5 (especially with very large projects) there are great chances that the problem will shows up.
-- But there is a actions wich causes almost instantly a 100 % increases in processor. I have a second computer wich is I use for internet. This computer have Windows 2000 - and it never had that problem. Sometimes I conect tru LAN my problematic WinXP computer with my internet Win 2000 computer. And that causes all the time this problem.
I also have a laptop with WinXp. It suffers from the same problem. Especially when it is connected to another computer tru LAN. I also have to mention that in laptop the problem apear rarely (even when connceted tru LAN)
I followed your instructions and made that two files. First time I closed all the irrelevant (in my opinion) system services and programs - and made that two files.
And second I made again those two files but this time I leaved all system services on.

Attached Files

Edited by sebastian___, 05 July 2005 - 07:16 AM.