Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Fully Fragmented R: Drive?

• Please log in to reply

MM9610

MM9610

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hello, I went to defragment my drives, clicked "Analyze" then Degfragment.
Then it just turned red (fragmented). At least I think that's how it happened.

Here is what it looks like: Posted Image

Any advice?
What does this mean?

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I really don't know what's going on with your computer without doing some diagnostics. First thing i wonder about is the R drive. Did you make and name this drive or partition? When windows sees a new drive it usually just sets it to the next letter available(i.e. - "E" drive after the "D" dvd drive). Is this a phantom drive? If it is a real partition or drive, it might be that the defragmenter is corrupt and reading wrong. Did a reboot correct the defrag program problem? Or is this problem happening all the time. I wonder if this is a restore partition? If so then i doubt it is that defragmented and it may just be some malware in your temp files that causes a wrong reading. I would try deleting all the temp files on the computer and see if thing correct themselves. Temp files are not needed by windows, except it makes loading webpages faster, so they all can be deleted without causing any problems.

I do not really like windows defrag so i use auslogic's disk defrag on all my computers. Perhaps you could try it and see if it works better. If you do use it do NOT go back to using the windows defrag as it operates and runs differently. Use one or the other but don't use both.

http://www.auslogics...efrag/download/

SRX660

MM9610

MM9610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I didn't make the drive myself, it came with the laptop and yes, it IS a Recovery drive.
I think the problem is because first I used Windows Defrag then I used Defraggler then I used Wise Disk Cleaner Pro Defrag...

I will scan my drive for malware and delete temp files there are no temp files on this drive, see if that works...

Edited by MM9610, 16 October 2010 - 07:19 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

it IS a Recovery drive

Normally you wouldn't mess with this partition as it contains the image for recovering your system in case of crash.

MM9610

MM9610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

it IS a Recovery drive

Normally you wouldn't mess with this partition as it contains the image for recovering your system in case of crash.

Ok, I know now for future reference... But it's too late to think about that.
And by "mess with" you mean defragment?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
By mess with I mean anything. Defrag, delete, change, modify in any way. This is the original image of your system taken before it left the factory. In most cases it is the only record of your OS and programs that were included when your system was brand new.

Ehsanit

Ehsanit

• PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
Fragmentation on a recovery drive will have no affect since you don't read any files from the recovery drive (unless/until you actually need to restore to factory settings). If you have changed it at all (which, as stated, includes defragging it) you may be unable to use it for this single purpose. However you will probably find that the laptop has a program to burn the contents of the recovery partition to DVD, and that should still work perfectly. Do that and keep the DVDs in case you should need to reset your computer.

Edited by Ehsanit, 19 October 2010 - 02:00 PM.

MM9610

MM9610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Thank you. Does this program come with the manufacturers name on it or is it just any program such as Nero?
I have a Disk Creator program but I see no option to burn the recovery partition to a DVD.