Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HELP! macbook pro shuts down and wont start up.

• Please log in to reply

Sinboden

Sinboden

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a macbook pro that I've had for almost 2 years now, it's run great until lately, it's randomly started shutting itself down in the middle of me doing something without any warning and while charging.
This morning, it did it and when i tried to start it back up, it stalls on the apple loading screen when you first turn it on, then it shuts off.
It won't pull up anything, it just loads and then shuts itself off.
any help? and will this effect my hard-drive and will i lose everything?
thank you

shane.

Advertisements

fisheromacs

fisheromacs

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
My first suspicion would be a faulty fan, resulting in overheating and then shutdown.
My second suspicion would be a failing hard drive (the getting stuck on the apple screen at startup points to this)

It most certainly could potentially cause problems with your hard drive, with the possibility of both corrupting data (more likely) and causing physical damage (less likely).

A third possiblity is that something has gone physically wrong with the motherboard components (maybe loose heatsink?), and if so, would need professionally serviced.