Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Tech upgraded from XP to Vista. Wrong move?

• Please log in to reply

Ferrante

Ferrante

• PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
Two days ago I had Win XP and loved it. I screwed up my computer so bad (BidDefender rescue Cd files went to HD instead of disc and would NEVER allow me to get into XP)that last night a tech came to my home and could not fix it. Since I had an upgrade disc for Vista that I never used, he put that on. Thank God I had backed up everything, online, with Mozy, so loss should be minimal. The question is: how many things did I have that will no longer work with Vista? Overall, if the general consensus that Vista is good or not? If not, should I upgrade to Win7 or go back to XP, which I am told I can do. Your thoughts?

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
What a coincidence, this was posted yesterday by Sharon R.
Yesterday, I was trying to make a rescue CD for a friend and somehow the files got onto my computer. Now, when I try and boot up into windows XP. I get the rescue process taking over. I tried everything, booting pressing the f2, f8. and f10 and nothing. My though was to try and get into system restore and go back a day or two. I cannot do anything. I even tried my own rescue cds that came with the computer and they will not load. Nothing is working. This is the message that I am getting: "Bitdefender rescue cd based on Live cd". When it completes it process, it says to remove the cd and reboot. I cannot do that as there is no cd, so the files must be on my HD. I do not want to lost everything I have so can someone help me, please? Thanks in advance for your suggestions. Also, it keeps mentioning Linux...

I sent her a long post to download Puppy Linux to recover her data just in cae, and was waiting for a reply to then ascertain if the problem was the boot.ini file, changed by installing the Bit Defender Rescue files on the hard drive.
Hope you do not mind me asking, but it is not the same job is it.

Presuming it is not, your problem is more easily answered.
No one can tell you how many programs etc you had that will not work with Vista, as we do not know of course, what you had.
However some of them can perhaps be updated and the others can probably be run in compatability mode.

Is Vista good. Well basically, most of the Vista edition were simply a remodelled XP.
Should I change to Windows 7 or go back to XP. It depends. Can your system run Windows 7. Check on the MIcrosoft site. There is a free suitability scan of your computer. It will tell you exactly what is RIGHT, what will do and what will not do.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 15 October 2010 - 04:21 PM.