Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP SP3 hard crashes & BSODs

• Please log in to reply

Anamacha

Anamacha

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
we had a bad driver run in safe mode without any problems? When was this?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What I said was a bad driver so we ran in safe mode and there was no problem.
We verified there may be a bad driver somewhere. I will wait for the malware tech to get done.

Anamacha

Anamacha

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

What I said was a bad driver so we ran in safe mode and there was no problem.
We verified there may be a bad driver somewhere. I will wait for the malware tech to get done.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding something -- but I thought that when in safe mode, only certain usually Microsoft based drivers would run. Safe mode cuts most of the stuff that one usually runs when in non-safe mode. So far as *I* know, there's no way of getting these drivers to run while in safe mode.

In other words, assuming it IS a bad driver causing my problem, it makes sense to me that I would have the problem in regular mode but not in safe mode.

Anyway, yes, we'll wait for the malware tech to finish. I don't know if you're following the other thread, but we are making progress.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yes maybe I'm not explaining this correctly.
In normal mode you get BSOD's.
Running in Safe Mode with generic drivers produces no BSOD's.
Therefor we can determine that at least in part there is a faulty driver loading in normal mode that is causing the issue.
In post 17 you stated you had both Omega and ATI drivers installed. Did you ever uninstall the Omega drivers completely or are we still dealing with them?
Also there was at one point a BSOD referencing OS system files as a potential problem.

Anamacha

Anamacha

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Yes maybe I'm not explaining this correctly.
In normal mode you get BSOD's.
Running in Safe Mode with generic drivers produces no BSOD's.
Therefor we can determine that at least in part there is a faulty driver loading in normal mode that is causing the issue.
In post 17 you stated you had both Omega and ATI drivers installed. Did you ever uninstall the Omega drivers completely or are we still dealing with them?
Also there was at one point a BSOD referencing OS system files as a potential problem.

I don't get BSODs often. I get the speaker noise+crash, or the speaker noise+crash+fan ramp-up much more often.

When I do get BSODs, however, they are usually based around wen32k.sys

I no longer have the Omega drivers installed. I uninstalled them once I realized that they were not going to solve my problem.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Have you been able to determine which fan it is that is revving up?
Is it the PSU, CPU or video card fan?

Anamacha

Anamacha

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Have you been able to determine which fan it is that is revving up?
Is it the PSU, CPU or video card fan?

not yet, no. I haven't opened the case yet. If it continues after RKinner and I are done, then I will do that.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I see you guys found a hidden infection and still working on cleaning that up. also replacing the beep.sys file looks promising.
I might add also to ask Rkinner about running a HD diagnostics to make sure your drive itself has no issues.
He is a very good tech on both malware and the tech side so he will know what I mean. I will check back to see your progress.

Anamacha

Anamacha

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

I see you guys found a hidden infection and still working on cleaning that up. also replacing the beep.sys file looks promising.
I might add also to ask Rkinner about running a HD diagnostics to make sure your drive itself has no issues.
He is a very good tech on both malware and the tech side so he will know what I mean. I will check back to see your progress.

where was the hidden infection? He didn't say anything about it, that I recall.

In his latest post hie's recommending that I run some HD diagnostics.

Thanks for checking in again.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Something about the registry I think is where the problem was. Sorry I have been very busy here remodeling a room.
:D

Advertisements

Anamacha

Anamacha

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
no worries ... hope everything works out well. Thank you again for your reply.