Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP SP3 hard crashes & BSODs

• Please log in to reply

Anamacha

Anamacha

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
okay. Here's the Speedfan screenshot. It's not terribly useful.
speedfan ss 101017.JPG

the SIW screenshot is a bit more useful, but I don't know what the acceptable ranges are for these numbers.
SIW ss 101017.JPG

Here's the data from the PCI section of SIW:
SIW pci ss 101017.JPG

sorry for the large-ness of the screenshots -- I couldn't figure out how to crop in Paint. I'm more used to Photoshop :D

I didn't find anything out of place in the Device manager.

I am now downloading the Catalyst drivers version 9.3. I checked the release notes for the 9.4 version and they don't even nention the X1650 card I have.

If this is indeed the problem, then I'm surprised I continued to have issues when I installed the Omega drivers -- I believe the latest Omega drivers are based on ATI drivers version 8.6 or so.

Anyway, if I'm missing anything then please let me know; I'm happy to get any data you need.

My computer has been fine, but I did have to reboot once or twice before getting to where I am now -- once with another win32k.sys BSOD. There was a pink box to the lower right of that screen ... wierd.

Edited by Anamacha, 17 October 2010 - 07:46 PM.

Advertisements

Anamacha

Anamacha

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
oh NUTS. I just realized that I installed the ATI drivers on top of the Omega ones. I didn't uninstall the Omega ones first. Oops! Totally forgot I had those in there.

So far not having any problems, though. At least I made a restore point.

Edited by Anamacha, 17 October 2010 - 07:48 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No problems after uninstalling omega drivers?

Anamacha

Anamacha

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

No problems after uninstalling omega drivers?

I haven't uninstalled them yet. Should I?

I left my machine idle a few times, and it never crashed. We'll see how it does over night. And I'm about to go play a DirectX 9 game, so we'll see how that goes, too.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK I will check in the morning for your results. Good luck :D

Anamacha

Anamacha

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
well I think we can declare the driver rollback a tentative success. My computer has made it about 36 hours without crashing or BSODing. I'm kinda thinking it's a bit too soon to tell for sure, but things are looking quite good so far.

Do you think this would change my crashing-after-waking-up-from-standby problem I was having? I guess if that comes back, then I can open a different thread.

If I DO end up crashing or BSODing then I will post back here. If not, then not.

Thanks for all your help! I am very grateful.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Pleased it worked.
Where did you come to mention 9.4 from, because my research albeit I did not check everyone showed 9.3 which is what I suggested.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 19 October 2010 - 05:04 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Congratulations. ;) for a successful resolution for your issue.

You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed Macboatmaster and myself to assist you with your issue and for your patience.
Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :D ;)
This issue now appears to be resolved.

Anamacha

Anamacha

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Pleased it worked.
Where did you come to mention 9.4 from, because my research albeit I did not check everyone showed 9.3 which is what I suggested.

I know you mentioned 9.3; I checked the notes for 9.4 on my own just to see if there was anything newer than 9.3 I could use. Since the notes for 9.4 didn't mention my card, I figured that nothing newer than 9.4 would, either.

Anyway, thank you again -- although my computer seems to no longer be spontaneously crashing and giving me BSODs, it still won't wake up from stand by properly. I tested this today. I will open a different thread for that problem, though.

Anamacha

Anamacha

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
okay ... remember how I said 'it was too soon to tell'? I was right. My machine crashed in the same way just a few minutes ago.

Now, about 3-4 days elapsed since I rolled the video drivers back to 9.3. I've done a fair bit of stuff since then. And I guess I can live with it if it happens only every 3-4 days. Still, though, I'd like to get this fixed completely.

Any ideas?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Download WhoCrashed from the link in my signature below
This program checks for any drivers which may have been causing your computer to crash....

Click on the file you just downloaded and run it.

Put a tick in Accept then click on Next
Put a tick in the Don't create a start menu folder then click Next
Put a tick in Create a Desktop Icon then click on Install and make sure there is a tick in Launch Whocrashed before clicking Finish
Click Analyze
It will want to download the Debugger and install it Say Yes
WhoCrashed will create report but you have to scroll down to see it
Copy and paste it into your next reply

http://www.resplendence.com/downloads

Anamacha

Anamacha

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
I already have WhoCrashed Home Edition 2.10 ... is that the one you're talking about?

The problem with this is that WhoCrashed provides reports on BSODs and such ... not for crashes like I'm having. In other words, my computer doesn't have a chance to create a report that whoCrashed can analyze.

Regardless, I've pasted in the data you rquested.

Oh ... my computer did that hard crash no report thing last night. The last date that WhoCrashed reports is 17.Oct, or 4 days ago.

On Sun 10.10.17 12.23.19 AM your computer crashed
This was likely caused by the following module: win32k.sys
Bugcheck code: 0x50 (0xE2D0A01C, 0x0, 0xBF83AD89, 0x1)
Error: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
Dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini101710-01.dmp
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\win32k.sys
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: Multi-User Win32 Driver
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect, possibly the culprit is in another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK then please do another Blue Screen Viewer report and just include the dates from the 19th to the 21st.
I don't need anything else as we have already dealt with those.

Anamacha

Anamacha

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
I found Blue Screen Viewer -- there were no BSOD reports generated from the 19th to the 21st. Since the crashes I am experiencing are hard crashes with no reports, I have a feeling that we are barking up the wrong tree here.

However, here is the latest BSV data I have. It looks terrible in here; I could not find the actual file to attach.

Crash List

Created by using BlueScreenView

Dump File Crash Time Bug Check String Bug Check Code Parameter 1 Parameter 2 Parameter 3 Parameter 4 Caused By Driver Caused By Address File Description Product Name Company File Version Processor Computer Name Full Path Processors Count Major Version Minor Version
Mini101710-01.dmp 10.10.17 7.23.19 PM PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA 0x00000050 0xe2d0a01c 0x00000000 0xbf83ad89 0x00000001 ntkrnlpa.exe ntkrnlpa.exe+22f43 NT Kernel & System Microsoft® Windows® Operating System Microsoft Corporation 5.1.2600.5973 (xpsp_sp3_gdr.100427-1636) 32-bit C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini101710-01.dmp 1 15 2600

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
WhoCrashed checks for drivers
Blue Screen Viewer checks for applications or system crashes.
Since neither is showing up then we are back to the PSU or Memory.
Since we can't get any voltage readings then we try memory for now.
If you have more than one RAM module installed, try starting computer with one RAM stick at a time.

NOTE Keep in mind, the manual check listed above is always superior to the software check, listed below. DO NOT proceed with memtest, if you can go with option A

B. If you have only one RAM stick installed...
...run memtest...

1. Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)
2. Unzip downloaded memtest86+-2.11.iso.zip file.
3. Inside, you'll find memtest86+-2.11.iso file.
4. Download, and install ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/
5. Insert blank CD into your CD drive.
6. Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc
7. Click on Browse for a file... icon:

Posted Image

8. Locate memtest86+-2.11.iso file, and click Open button.
9. Click on ImgBurn green arrow to start burning bootable memtest86 CD:

Posted Image

10. Once the CD is created, boot from it, and memtest will automatically start to run. You may have to change the boot sequence in your BIOS to make it work right.

To change Boot Sequence in your BIOS

Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) start tapping the DEL button
This will enter you into the Bios\Cmos area.
Find the Advanced area and click Enter
Look for Boot Sequence or Boot Options and highlight that click Enter
Now highlight the first drive and follow the directions on the bottom of the screen on how to modify it and change it to CDrom.
Change the second drive to the C or Main Drive
Once that is done then click F10 to Save and Exit
You will prompted to enter Y to verify Save and Exit. Click Y and the system will now reboot with the new settings.

The running program will look something like this depending on the size and number of ram modules installed:

Posted Image

It's recommended to run 5-6 passes. Each pass contains very same 8 tests.

This will show the progress of the test. It can take a while. Be patient, or leave it running overnight.

Posted Image

The following image is the test results area:

Posted Image

The most important item here is the “errors” line. If you see ANY errors, even one, most likely, you have bad RAM.