Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Which is the best computer for college?

• Please log in to reply

ohserio

ohserio

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
I'm doing a project for my computer class and have to choose the best out of Gateway, Dell, and HP. Which do you guys think is the best? (suggestions for other computers are appreciated)

Gateway: http://www.gateway.c...t/529668661.php

Dell: http://www.dell.com/...=latitude-e5410 OR http://www.dell.com/.../studio-1558/fs

HP: http://www.shopping....ng/CQ62Z_series

Advertisements

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,649 posts
Well I don't know what your project specs are, but its really hard to say what the "best" computer is. The best for me may not be the best for the next guy, people typically buy computers based off of their needs, budget, etc... If your going on just system specs, it will still be hard to determine what the "best" is because they are nearly the same with some small differences here and there most likely likely easy to make the same with a simple upgrade. If it was me I would go will with this one http://www.dell.com/.../studio-1558/fs simply because I like what it offers, and I have always been very happy with Dell, both product, and service. In my mind Dell is simply the best, now I am sure there are others that will chime in that they like the others the best. With out personally using all four you have posted, or seeing a study on the comparison, its really hard to say for sure what the best really is.

just my thoughts :D

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Tho this may not help you at all I would like to add to this discussion also.
I myself do not buy a name brand system as I prefer to custom build my systems.
The fact that I can research each part and make sure of compatibility and touch each part.
Assembling the system gives me great satisfaction knowing I can take all the parts and in the end have the system come to life and work properly.
If you were a client of mine and asking this question I would have to agree with BHowett for the same reasons he stated. I have dealt with their customer support both personally and here on GTG and have found they are very good at assisting their customers.

Charmz

Charmz

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Definitely this one: http://www.gateway.c...t/529668661.php

TIP: Stay away from compaq.

Jkc73

Jkc73

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
Hi Charmz :D

I am still running the same Dell I have had since 2006, though I have added ram and upgraded drivers etc..

If I was to buy a new system I would follow rshaffer61 to build it from the base up.

These days there is too much bloatware in a prepackaged pc and it isn't always setup to suit everyone.

I hope I have helped you in some way.;)

Regards,
Jkc73

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
without regards to actual specs or what you're wanting to do with the computer. Compaq (even though they're owned by HP now) should never be a consideration. even if they've cleaned up their act, their systems used to be SO HORRIBLE that i can't suggest anyone ever get a compaq. gateway is pretty close to the same as compaq in my opinion (which may be missguided, but the whole concept of brand image revolves around how your product is percieved, and they ruined their chances with me a long time ago).

an ACTUAL HP made computer would be a good option (they're really focusing on better equipment these days and there service is pretty good) or a dell (i like the latitude's a lot). i've owned several of both brands and i've never been disapointed (others have, so, take it for what it's worth)

xacked

xacked

• Pip
  • 3 posts
HP Pro Elite's have been pretty impressive, as a college student at our university helpdesk, I saw the Dell Latitude, the e5410 isn't as good as the old d630s. I bought a Lenovo Thinkpad R61 when lenovo was in the dumps following the transition from IBM, but it still got me through and I don't regret spending the money on it, they cleaned up their act and my coworker bought the T410 and it was definitely in his mind worth the money. If you're looking for a solidly built computer, there's also the Macbook Pro, and no matter how much people hate on Macs, it makes you wonder why PC manufacture's havent recruited similar industrial designers.

Anything business oriented should prove to be the most reliable, and if you aren't going to spend the money on reliability at least spend what you saved on an extended warranty, when components fail (especially the mainboard) and you aren't covered you're sol like the HP DV6000/2000 owners who saw widespread video card and mobo failures, and had to made a big fuss for HP to extend the warranty.

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts
I'm in college and I use a HP. As dsenette already has said, I do find their equipment to be of higher quality. My second choice would be the Dell, because of good customer support.

Natechie

Natechie

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I would exclude Gateway from any further considerations, and narrow it down to either HP or Dell. If I had to choose between the two, I'd go with Dell for some of the reasons that were already mention. In my personal experiences, I've found Dell to be of higher quality. HP has disappointed me on one than more occasion, but that's just me.

There's already mixed opinions in this thread...so here's the important thing; Dell and HP are both really good brands. There's not really a wrong or write decision that could be made here. Asking Dell vs HP is like asking if you should get Ford vs Dodge, etc. It all comes down to personal opinions and experiences.

Good luck! :D

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
Interesting. My niece graduates this and its my job to spec out a laptop for her to use at college. I will say from having two laptops with a screen resolution of 1366x768 is too limiting. Great for watching dvd's. Terrible for productivity. checking the specs you listed,they all have greater resolution.

I just got a new work computer. HP probook 6450b. Its so much faster than my old dell latitude d610. Build quality is excellent. Screen is nice and bright, but not glossy. Instead of looking at the compaq line (value/budget hp), I would suggest looking at the probooks or elitebooks.

Is there a reason you didn't consider a MacBook pro?