Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Word 2003 Freezing

• Please log in to reply

amarie13

amarie13

• Pip
  • 4 posts
hello -

this is my first computer forum question & i feel i should apologize upfront for my technological illiteracy (i know relative basics, but not much beyond) . . . However, i will try to detail as best i can and would be grateful for any advice in layman's terms!

my problem is in using Microsoft Office Word 2003 (with Windows XP) to edit two documents – for nearly every function i attempt to perform it freezes for 5-10 seconds.
the main functions i am attempting to perform involve copying individual text boxes (with highlighted text) from Document 1 (1 page full of text boxes), pasting in the margins of Document 2 (34 pages of text), and then also highlighting text in Document 2 using keyboard shortcuts (created as macros).
The copying, pasting, keyboard shortcuts, and even switching b/w documents almost always causes a freeze/stutter (sometimes pointer turns hourglass) of 5 – 10 seconds.
i need to do this with many documents = more than 500 pages of text, so speed is of the essence and these freezes are quickly adding up.

i’m using a Compaq Presario V5000 -- in attempts to help i’ve restored original settings with recovery disks with no improvement – and just upgraded to 2GB of RAM and still no improvement (despite my CPU usage now mostly showing 0%) -- although in doing the latter, i also noticed some dust internally, but wasn't sure how to go about removing/cleaning it.
i'm not that knowledgeable & not sure what else i can do, so i thought i’d see if anyone might have suggestions here. the two documents are large (63KB & 1.75MB) and may only grow – am i perhaps just asking too much of Word? Me & my stress levels would extend many, many thanks for any advice!!

p.s. don't know that this provides any additional insight, but the internal "whirring" of the laptop increases/gets louder during the freezes (though i do have it on a notebook stand, angled up which i'd thought would provide enough ventilation?)

Advertisements

amarie13

amarie13

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
i think i figured this out - problem with specific file
(however, i've led myself to problem part II . . . but will post in XP forum)

thanks