Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Tech Support

• Please log in to reply

korhinta

korhinta

• PipPip
  • 96 posts
http://xkcd.com/806/

(if you're new to xkcd, there's an extra tidbit when you place the mouse/cursor over the comic...)

Advertisements

xacked

xacked

• Pip
  • 3 posts
most amusing one evarr, printed and posted for the phone support group at my workplace

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i once spent an hour on the phone with tech support (not going to name the company because i actually like them, and their corporate support) because my PSU died. the guy kept asking me to turn the computer on and troubleshoot

me: ok, so my PSU is dead i need you to ship a new one

them: ok sir, first i'll need you to read back the error message to me

me: there's no error message the PSU is dead

them: ok sir is the computer plugged in?

me: it is, but that doesn't really matter since the PSU is dead

them: ok sir can you press the power button and tell me what happens

me: nothing, seeing as the PSU, you know the thing that actually powers the computer, is dead

them: ok sir if you could tell me what is showing on the screen now

me: a picture of jack and squat having a conversation....THE PSU IS DEAD

a FULL hour of that (and a lot more cursing) later and they sent a tech out to drop the PSU off

binary_x_2

binary_x_2

• Pip
  • 1 posts
wowwwww sorry you've been cooked no pressure

Drix

Drix

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
I wept with sympathy.

Iamnoone

Iamnoone

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
I am going to say the company name because I actually think they're very stupid and I hate their customer/tech support. VERIZON

I called to get internet only installed. They condoned me into paying for internet, phone and cable tv installation saying if I ever wanted to upgrade services it would only be an in-office flip of the switch to activate the service and wouldn't require any additional installation or installation charges when done and that installation charge would be broken into 3 monthly bills. Within the first month I decided to upgrade to the phone service. I made the request online and they gave me the phone number and date service was to begin. The service didn't begin. I go to their live support chat online where I was told yes you do have service and it started on such and such a date. I replied no I don't have service. They had me email tech support who also declared I have service just plug in the phone. They told me to buy I new phone saying my phone must be broken. I replied it is a new phone and I returned it as defective and tried the next one, NO SERVICE, NO DIAL TONE. This went on for a week. Then they said I would have to agree to pay for a tech to come out and repair the service. I refused and wanted to know why would I have to pay to repair a service that hasn't started yet and that the installation must not have been done completely on or was done improperly. They told me I would have to call customer support during business hours to discuss it. I was like, okay and how do I call them if I don't have phone service? The reply, "I don't know. You have to call tech support and ask them." I stated I would refuse to pay the bill. They stated, "you have to call billing about that." So after multiple attempts all week long I tried saying okay if you aren't going to do a proper installation, don't charge me for it. Again "CALL billing." I told them I would blatantly refuse to pay for any of the installation or service, that I haven't even gotten the first bill yet and they could take me to court and try to explain to a judge that I owe them for an incomplete/improper installation and service that I never received. At the end of week two they scheduled a supervisor to come out to see what the problem was and who looked at the installation and said the tech never connected the phone line to the verizon box and waved the repair fee and ordered a charge back for the first month of phone service that wasn't received. I asked him to explain why I was being told I had to agree to pay for a repair on something I didn't actually get and therefore couldn't have possibly broken to be repaired. The look on his face was priceless. Then he told me he didn't know and to call customer support and ask them. I told him I didn't have phone service. He scheduled a tech to come out and finish the installation. I often wonder who he would have told me to call if I asked him why a supervisor inspecting an installation couldn't just connect the phone line that wasn't connected.