Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

No POST, no display

• Please log in to reply

Macookta

Macookta

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I own a system that was originally factory refurbished. Since then, I have replaced all of the parts but the CD drive. It has been running fine for about 4 months, but I came back from lunch today to find my screen frozen on the login screen. A normal shutdown would not work, so I force-shutdown the machine and tried to start it up again. My fans spun up, LEDs lit, but there was no display on the monitors and no POST beep like there usually is. After reading some other threads online, I tried stripping the computer down to just a barebones configuration (PSU, motherboard, RAM, CPU). I still got the same result. I also tested the PSU and RAM in another computer in my house, and both worked in the other computer. I'm starting to suspect a faulty motherboard or CPU, but I'd like some help before I go out and buy something new.

Here are the specs of my current setup:
*GIGABYTE GA-MA770-UD3 AM2+/AM2 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard
*BFG Tech BFGE450WPSU 450W ATX 12V v2.2 Power Supply
*Mushkin Enhanced Silverline 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model 996557
*AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz Socket AM2 125W Dual-Core Processor ADX6000CZBOX.
*EVGA 512-P3-N862-TR GeForce 9600 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card (I have tried booting with and without this. It gives the same result - no POST beep. I have no other video card to test this with and my motherboard doesn't have an onboard one. If necessary, I might be able to try this in the other computer, but I'm not really thinking it's the problem.)

Edit: I've also tried clearing the CMOS with the jumper and taking the battery out for a few minutes.

Edited by Macookta, 16 October 2010 - 04:57 PM.

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
When you said you tried your PSU it in another system was it with the same model of Video card as you have or another card completely.

450 watt should be enough for your Video card but the wattage of a PSU doesn't mean anything. It's the amount of amperage on the +12v rail is what really matters. If yours doesn't have enough, it can lead to problems.

If the computer that you tried your PSU on had a video card that demands less amperage than yours it might be why it was working.

Probably not the reason your system is not starting but it is something to check.

Macookta

Macookta

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you for the response. I tried taking the video card from my spare machine and putting it in my main one to see if that would make a difference. I still got the same results. So, it looks like the video card will work in the spare machine with my main machine's power supply, but not in my main machine with my main machine's power supply. Still worth a try, so thanks for the idea.

Edit: I'm not experienced with voltages and amperages, being just a beginner hobbyist still in high school. If there's some flaw in my logic because of inexperience, you can point it out.

Edited by Macookta, 16 October 2010 - 06:04 PM.