Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Search Engines

• Please log in to reply

irish_eyes

irish_eyes

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
With all the search engine redirects going on, are there any that are safe? I was using Google, but since this is a new laptop I don't want to put anything questionable in it - nothing, until I check it out!

Advertisements

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 5,960 posts
Hi irish_eyes,

I'd like to clarify to you that Google did not create this redirect virus. Google is perfectly safe to use. The redirect virus is caused by malware. I encourage you to click on the link provided below to learn how to protect yourself.

So how did I get infected in the first place?

Also, I recommend you to install WOT (Web of Trust).

WOT will warn you of sites that you should not click on while browsing the Internet and discipline you to protect yourself from online scams, sites with adult content, spam and other Internet threats. The WOT community has rated millions of websites so you can search, shop online and surf for fun without worrying.

Please do not hesitate to ask any questions you need answered. It is our goal here at Geeks to go to educate and take preventative measures to keep our members from becoming infected in the first place!

Happy surfing!

Donna :D

Edited by DonnaB, 16 October 2010 - 09:38 PM.

irish_eyes

irish_eyes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
Hi Donna:

I realize that Google did not create the redirect, I was just trying to prevent getting it on this laptop - since my desktop got infected with it. It's good to know that Googlr is ssafe. I reallylike it more than the Bing that is on this now. I will reinstall Google without hesitation.

Sorry it took so long to respond to your answer. I was in the hospital with a kidney infection. That was no fun at all.

Regards,
Kate

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 5,960 posts
Hi Kate,

Time is of no value here. What's important is that you are well.

Just to include, no matter what search engine you are using, if you aren't a safe computer user, infection is inevitable. Just like your kidney infection, if I may use that as a comparison, whatever you put in your body will be the result of your health and your bodies output. Same with your computer. If you feed it with bad information you will only give it bad health results.

By installing the WOT add-on to all your browsers you will have a visual to guide you and prevent you from accessing sites that are of the questionable nature. It will not prevent infection but teaches you self discipline if you are a "clicker". It taught me patience.

Please read the link I provided above concerning So how did I get infected in the first place?

Here are some other articles that you can read in your spare time to educate you on how to prevent infections.

How to Avoid Getting a Computer Virus or Worm on Your Windows PC

How Do I Prevent Viruses On My Computer?

Remember, the more educated that you are on just what infections are and how they work, the easier it is to prevent them.

Please stay well, take care of yourself, and happy surfing! You know we're here if you need us. :D

Donna ;)

irish_eyes

irish_eyes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
Donna:

Thamks for the info. I did read the article and installed WOT. I got my Google back, and all lis well.

Thank you for your help.

Regards,
Kate

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 5,960 posts
You're welcome. More than happy to help!

Donna :D