Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Problem downloading Java

• Please log in to reply

Stpattybaby

Stpattybaby

• Pip
  • 8 posts
:tazz: Back around the holidays I had my hard drive reformatted by CompUSA and ever since can't get java to complete downloading. I get an error message #1722: There is a problem with the windows installer package. A program as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel (ME) or package vendor. My computer has been built by myself and uncle over the years. I've tried downloading both on and offline, also from a CD and get same message every time.

There is a chat website I use to visit all the time and since the reformatting I can't get the site to complete losding other than a large square and no clickable buttons.

I've used both Java.com and Sun.com every time coming up with the same error message. I running win XP/sp2.

Advertisements

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 875 posts
here's one possible work around that might help.

copy the entire java folder and contents from another computer to cd, then copy that folder to your machine. this worked for me awhile back on a win98 system - was able to compile and run java code immediately.

Stpattybaby

Stpattybaby

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
That may work but dumb me needs instructions on how to copy the file off the CD onto my hard drive. I run xp/sp2 :tazz:

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 875 posts
before you start:
rename the original java folder
for best results copy the same java version as the original(any newer version should still work)

to copy the folder:
right click on start
left click explore
left click on the cd drive
right click on the folder
left click on copy
left click on the destination drive(most likely c:)
control-v(to paste folder)

Stpattybaby

Stpattybaby

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
:tazz: Man I tried what you suggested and it came closer to completing than ever before but alas the SAME error message came up and it did finish!

I open to any more suggestions?!?!?

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 875 posts
i'm a little confused. the error message for copying an entire java directory was identical to the error message displayed while downloading a zip file from java.com?

Stpattybaby

Stpattybaby

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
That is correct!

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 875 posts
it looks like this is a 'common' problem with 1.4.2_xx

one user had 25% of his installs fail