Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

reg cleaner actually fixed an error? who knew?

• Please log in to reply

mikeloeven

mikeloeven

• PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
this is one of the strangest things i have ever seen i actually ran into an error that was fixed using ccleaner's build in registry utility. i keep hearing a ton of people saying registry cleaners dont help at all and yet there seems to be a single BSOD on boot that is actually fixed by a reg cleaner.

it is stop c0000145 the application failed to initilize.
when first triggered it will ocur on 50% of all boots. one bsod and one normal boot.

at first i tried chkdsk and a full surface scan that completed with no errors. i than went to sigverif and SFC and replaced some windows files but it didn't fix the issue. Than finally I did somthing on the spur of the moment against all advice and ran a registry cleaner. the error stopped. so apearantly reg cleaners are good for somthing after all. but the only thing I can think of is that the registry cleaner removed the run on boot entry for whatever broken componant was causing the bsod. but if anyone has more information on this bsod I would like to still know what was causing it in the first place. the entry that made it run on boot is gone so the file/application is rendered harmless but i am guessing there is still a corrupt program on the computer somewhere lurking forgotten in the system32 folder or perhaps the driver folder?

but any info helping me track down the root cause of this minor inconvienance as well as why the cleaning worked would be of great help in preventing this in the future.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
So what was the error that it fixed?

You can easily stop startups by deleting them out of the "Startup" folder (Start > All Programs > Startup), and also through the msconfig System Configuration utility. A word of caution though that msconfig needs to be used with extreme caution for those not familiar with it.

And there you go, startup removed and issue fixed without running a registry cleaner?

mikeloeven

mikeloeven

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
that is why i am so confused i disabled all the start up entries in msconfig but the error kept happening and it happened mid way through the loading bar animation when windows boots up so as of this time i still have no clue what actually caused the issue and why cleaning the registry fixed it. :D

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hhmmmm interesting one... I guess the only trick is to hope that nothing else comes of it...

deggitt

deggitt

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
Hi,Mike. In ccleaner did you make a backup before you used the Fix Issues option ?

if you did it should be fairly easy to isolate the enttry causing the issue

Edited by deggitt, 27 October 2010 - 08:42 AM.