Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

NTLDR Missing

• Please log in to reply

amarie13

amarie13

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello --

i am hoping to find some insight on an issue with my Compaq Presario V5000 running on Windows XP. i tried to restore original settings with restore disk which will run for awhile but always ends up with message: "Error! Cannot copy file X:\RELOAD\BASE_03 INP from disk. Please eject disc and clean and try again. ABORT RETRY IGNORE"

when several attempts to clean disk didn't work, i tried restoring using the F11 key.
when i do this, i get the error message "cannot open x:\PRELOAD\Windows.w32"
after i click okay and it attempts to start, i get a black screen saying "NTLDR is missing" "press ctrl+alt+del to restart" - but restarting just goes to the same screen.

based on searching re: this problem, i hit F10 upon restart and ran the Hard Disk Self Test, the results of which appeared as: (Quick) Pass, (Comprehensive) Pass and (S.M.A.R.T.) Pass - which i'm assuming is good. i'm not that knowledgeable about how to interpret all this, and am still unsure what to do even after reading some earlier, similar threads. I would be grateful for suggestions or thoughts anyone might have about other steps i can take to investigate this problem.

Thank you!

p.s. i should add that i recently replaced/upgraded my RAM in case related

Advertisements

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
Hello :D You will first need to download Hirens boot cd.Here is the link http://www.hirensboo...d.html?ver=10.6 Next you will need to download Active@ ISO Burner.Here is the link for that http://download.cnet...3ffadde7b59a55c Ok download Hirens boot cd Burn it to disk with Active@ ISO Burner.Next you will need to set the computer in question to boot from cd.After Hirens boot cdhas booted go down to fix ntldr missing.It will ask you what operating system to fix select your operating system.Wala you are good to go. ;)

amarie13

amarie13

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi Rockmilk,

thank you for the response & the suggestion.
although i don't entirely understand the bigger picture, i was able to run the restore completely & successfully after selecting "boot options" and specifying the CD Drive.

i nonetheless appreciate your taking the time to consider my plight and offering your expertise.

very best,
amarie

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
Glad I could help. ;) Feel free to come back anytime. :D