Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet connection problem

• Please log in to reply

Fnoogernooger

Fnoogernooger

• Pip
  • 4 posts
There's this weird... thing with my internet locally.
I normally do everything on a non-admin account because I don't want my computer to be hosed if I get a virus. And now, I cannot use Google Chrome nor AIM (the latest version (I have no idea which one it is, I cannot keep track)). It won't connect to the internet. When I try to connect to AIM it says, "Failed to connect to Proxy server." When I try to use Chrome it says, "This webpage is not available.

The webpage at http://google.com/ might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address.

More information on this error
Below is the original error message

Error 102 (net::ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED): Unknown error."

And the real kicker is that everything works fine on the admin account. Can you guys figure out what's going on?

Advertisements

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi Fnoogernooger!

Welcome to Geeks to go! :D

Let's see if this will solve your issue.

A corrupted cookie file may be causing this error to show up. Follow these steps to clear your cookies in the acct. you use on a normal basis.

1. Click the Tools menu.
2. Click the Under the Hood tab and find the "Privacy" section.
3. In the "Cookie settings" section, click Show cookies.
4. Click Remove all.
5. Click Close.

And try again.

Keep me informed to your progress.

Donna ;)

Fnoogernooger

Fnoogernooger

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hey Donna,
Thanks for the help so far, but it didn't do anything to clear the cookies. I normally use Firefox, and I'm still able to use that on the side account. I'm utterly baffled about what the problem is. I use Norton if that helps any.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Which version of Norton are you running? How long have you had Norton installed? Check to make sure that Google Chrome is allowed in your antivirus and firewall settings.

Have you always had this issue or just since you installed Google Chrome or Norton?

Also try this:

Download TFC from Here if you don't have it.

Double-click TFC.exe to run it.

TFC will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin.

* Click the Start button to begin the cleaning process.
* Depending on how often you clean temp files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two.
* Please let TFC run uninterrupted until it is finished.

Note: Do not be alarmed. While cleaning the temporary files all open applications will be closed and the desktop will disappear

Once TFC is finished it should reboot your computer. If it does not, please manually reboot the computer yourself to ensure a complete cleaning.

Then try again.

Keep me informed.

:D

Fnoogernooger

Fnoogernooger

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
It's Norton Internet Security 15.5.0.23. I'm not sure if there's another part to it, aside from that.
I've always had Norton ever since I've had this computer. I'm running XP 2002, so that means it CANNOT be older than 8 years old.
I'm not sure about the antivirus allowance part, but I just double checked and Chrome was allowed, so I'm gonna try that other thing.

And I just recently downloaded Chrome, and it has never worked since I downloaded it.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Fnoogernooger,

Google Chrome is a much larger install than Firefox. I would like to suggest to remove Chrome and use Firefox to see if that helps since this is when you started to have the problems though the choice is truly yours.

As for TFC, keep it installed and run it at least once to twice a week depending on how often you surf the web. It's a great program to have.

Please keep me informed to your progress.

Donna :D

Edited by DonnaB, 17 October 2010 - 05:21 PM.

Fnoogernooger

Fnoogernooger

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Donna,

I just ran TFC, and it didn't do anything. I'm still not able to use AIM nor Chrome. I think there's a bit of a misunderstanding. Here are the facts:

On my non-admin account, Firefox and Skype are able to connect to the internet.

On my admin account, Firefox, IE, Chrome, Skype, AIM, iTunes and all the works are able to connect to the internet.

I've followed all your instructions thus far, and none have changed the status of these facts. Anything you can suggest?

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hm. Did you just install AIM as well?

Check your AV & Firewall settings in Norton to see if they are allowed.

You may also want to adjust your Proxy settings in Windows.

1. Click the Tools menu.
2. Select Options.
3. Click the Under the Hood tab.
4. Click Change proxy settings. This opens the Internet Properties dialog.
5. Click LAN Settings.
6. Make sure that the "Automatically detect settings" checkbox is selected.
7. Click OK for all dialog boxes.

Others members may post their advice as well.

Donna