Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Strange virus problem

• Please log in to reply

snafubaby

snafubaby

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
After upgrading IE6 to IE8, i am experiencing a strange situation. My pc keeps disconnecting from the internet. When it disconnects, it shows on the taskbar the computer monitor icon, which has a red x by it, and when i right click and choose "View Available Wireless Networks", it shows my connection, and next to it, it shows "Automatic", which is greyed out. When i click on "Cancel" a few seconds after i click on my network, as it's trying to reconnect, the screen refreshes. Then, when the pc is connected, it shows "Not Connected". So, when it shows "Automatic", it's NOT connected to the internet. When it shows "Not Connected", it IS connected to the internet. Very confusing at first. It disconnects a few minutes after connecting. I've tried various virus scanners, and the detections that those scanners made were with catchme, which is inside combofix, which i've i tried with no success in deleting the virus. Can it be a virus? When i try to choose "repair", it does not repair the issue, so i am thinking it is a virus.

I tried Rootkit Unhooker, and after a scan when "Drivers", "Stealth", and "Files", it said "Possible Rootkit Activity =)"

Please advise. Thank you!

Edited by snafubaby, 17 October 2010 - 03:39 PM.

Advertisements