Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD Drive not working

• Please log in to reply

Rhyarnith

Rhyarnith

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a Dell Studio 1737 laptop and I went to run a disc for my schoolwork last night, it came up fine but then windows explorer crashed on me, you know how the bottom task bar goes away on the computer when it does that? And when I went to start it again it said application not found. when I insert a dis, I hear the drive running but it won't run the program and I've went into My Computer to run it manually and it says insert a disc and pops out the disc I put in. I've tried this disc in another computer and it works fine. I checked my updates on the driver and they're current, I did a system restore, I deleted lower filter from registry, didn't work so restarted it, restored it, deleted upper filter, restarted it, didn't work, restored it then deleted both, restarted it, still nothing. I don't know what else to do and I need my computer for school. Everything else runs, it just won't find my dvd driver. I went to another forum and this guy tried to help me as best he could. I've uninstalled and re-installed the drive, I've ran cdgone, I've ran sfc from command prompt, the Microsoft DVD fix it, I've just recently ran the Microsoft device fix it and it comes up with hardware changes might not have been detected. What else should I do?

Advertisements

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
Hello and :D

Try this:

1. Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).

2. Locate the UpperFilters value under the following key in the registry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

3. On the Edit menu, click Delete , and then click OK .

4. Locate the LowerFilters value under the same key in the registry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

5. On the Edit menu, click Delete , and then click OK .

6. Quit Registry Editor. NOTE : After you remove the Upperfilters value and the Lowerfilters value, if you notice lost functionality in a particular program, such as CD recording software, you may need to reinstall that software. If the problem recurs, consult with the software vendor for assistance.

7. : After you remove then Restart your computer.