Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Is It Bad To Run A USB Cable Next To A Power Cord?

• Please log in to reply

• PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
I'm trying to tidy up some space in my workstation because I just added a new 2TB external hard drive enclosure. & well I would like the cables connected to the enclosure to be as neat as possible. So I got some split loom [eg: empty plastic flex pipe], and put the usb and power cord cables for the hdd enclosure in the split loom. Both the usb and power cables have copper ferrite beads but only on the ends that connect to the enclosure itself. The ends of the cables that connect to the pc usb, or power outlet do not have copper ferrite beads. My understanding is that copper ferrite beads keep interference out. But than what's the purpose of having it only on one end of each cord? I guess it makes sense because most people don't really put their cables in split loom, so both cables would normally be apart from each other. But anyways here's the question I'd like to ask:

I'd like to know if I will experience a considerable amount of interference or possibly data corruption by keeping both the usb and power cord connected to my hdd enclosure through split loom?

They're laying side by side in the split loom which is why I worry...

Edited by superstar, 17 October 2010 - 04:15 PM.

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP

Asked and answered.