Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

after installing new anti virus - word and excel won't open

• Please log in to reply

heidib

heidib

• Pip
  • 5 posts
long story...hopefully i can remember the steps...first uninstalled Mcafee and downloaded MS Essentials. Word and excel icons turned blue on desktop and now require product id to open.(cannot open) I restored system to one week ago. word and excel now ok.
uninstalled mcafee installed Avira. Word and excel back to not opening without product id. Tried to restore to before Avira and it will not restore. Tried to restore back to Mcafee and it will not let me. So currently i have Avira anitvirus installed and word and excel will not work. I checked my control panel. it shows office 2000(for MS money ) and office 2003(probably came with computer) currently installed.
i need my word and excel back..... what do i do?? thank you

window xp home edition version 2002 service pack 3
HP compaq presario
AMD sempron processor
3500+
994 MHz, 448 MB of Ram

Attached Thumbnails

• ms versions.JPG

Edited by heidib, 17 October 2010 - 05:11 PM.

Advertisements

AstraNut

AstraNut

• PipPipPip
  • 465 posts
Avira may have set the Program Permissions to block those from opening. Just check the listing of programs and condition(s) set.

Support for Avira AntiVir Personal – Free Antivirus

Instructions for manual uninstallation

If you did not make a Restore Point BEFORE any installation of new software, it's hard to rollback to previous working point. Restore Points are not the Panacea of recovery anyway. :D

If you have original discs and Product Code, I would re-install Word/Excel. If you don't have these, a compatible FREE program that works with Micro$oft files and has similar programs as M Office is OpenOffice.

Edited by AstraNut, 17 October 2010 - 05:23 PM.

heidib

heidib

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
if i choose to install openoffice -- do i have to delete the other two versions of office already installed?? thank you for the quick reply

AstraNut

AstraNut

• PipPipPip
  • 465 posts
No. OpenOffice shouldn't coflicy with Microsoft's, but since they don't work anyway, I would save all important files you've worked on and go ahead an delete the Microsoft Office Suite until a solution is found as to why they quit working under Avira.

OpenOffice does have its own native file extension, but opens and saves all files in whatever file extension you need, *.doc, *.rtf, etc.. Think it will save in Word 2003 format and more. The "Excel" program should be similar along with the "PowerPoint" program and the others.

Did you open Avira and look through the list of blocked programs?

Edited by AstraNut, 17 October 2010 - 06:40 PM.

heidib

heidib

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
i;m looking but i can't find a list

AstraNut

AstraNut

• PipPipPip
  • 465 posts
Sorry. That's my fault then as I made an assumption they may have a module that controls programs like a firewall does. Possibly it would be better to use the uninstall link for Avira and see if your regular programs start working. Do you even have the original Microsoft discs or Product Code? Those shown in the image are really outdated and you would be better off updating or using OO.

If you have problems uninstalling anything, try Revo Uninstaller. Free one should work just fine.

heidib

heidib

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
i have downloaded OO and my office documents are working.. Thank you VERY MUCH for your help.

AstraNut

AstraNut

• PipPipPip
  • 465 posts
You're very welcome. I love OO. Bet there would be a dent in the sales of Microro$oft's Office if more people knew about OO. :D

heidib

heidib

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
:D