Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Friend Keeping DSL and Cable Modem

• Please log in to reply

nannyk

nannyk

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am helping friends who are fairly computer illiterate set up their new computer. At my urging, they have had a DSL line installed and I will hook the new computer to it.

I learned today that the husband wants to keep cable modem for the old computer just in case DSL ever goes down.

I would sure appreciate any input you have to help him see the light. I'm not too anxious to have people know I set up their computer for them and left both services installed. :tazz:

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
I'm just puzzled why they (he) would want to switch from cable to dsl?
Cable is much more reliable, less prone to dropped connections and it's cheaper for a given bandwidth (here in the UK anyway). Having said that, I'm on dsl 'cos I live in a rural area where there's no cable. I don't see anything wrong in leaving cable installed for the chap, just in case. Which I had the option of both!

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Hey.. if they want to pay for two services, it shouldn't be your worry!! Let them keep it.. nothing wrong or illegal about it!!

Murray