Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need Anti-Virus & Spyware Programs for W98

• Please log in to reply

Joan A

Joan A

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
I've now got my W98 fixed (wouldn't start in anything but Safe Mode), but now I don't have an anti-virus program or any spyware programs on it anymore. Any recommendations? Hopefully free ones.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Check HERE in the pinned topic in the Applications forum.

Joan A

Joan A

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Trusted Tech

I already checked there - the antivirus items there are not for Win98 and the spyware items do not say what systems they work on. ;-) Any recommendations?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Avast 4.0
Free to register on Avast's site for a year and when needed just reregister for free.

, Vista, XP, 2000, 98, Me, NT

Joan A

Joan A

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
After spending 25 minutes downloading Avast, when I tried to install it, it wants a newer version of Windows. So, regardless of what that website says, the actual Avast site says Microsoft Windows 2000, Microsoft Windows XP/Vista/7 (32/64 bit). Not Win98. Now what? Would an older version of Avast do me any good? I would think not??

Edited by Joan A, 18 October 2010 - 10:44 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Avast 3.0

Operating system: Windows 95/98/2000/XP/NT

This one should work but I'm trying to find the actual download link for you.

I think this link HERE will get the 3.0 version for you.

Joan A

Joan A

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
All that one gets me is 'there is a newer version available' and download the new version, which obviously won't work.

Is there nothing out there for Win98? I've done a search on download.com and there are a few, but I don't trust the user reviews. Will an old version of AVG or Avira do me any good as long as I keep them updated?

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Support for Avast 4.8 will be discontinued in a few moths time - but here is a link for the old version
http://www.filehippo...antivirus/4903/

Joan A

Joan A

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
What does no support mean - no virus updates? If yes, is there any point in getting it? What about old versions of AVG or Avira?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I'm afraid the problem is that no matter what we find support for it will eventually end in the near future.
What AV were you using before the infection hit your system?

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Due to the different file structure between Windows 9x and NTFS systems it is no longer commercially viable for any company to continue to support both formats. Windows 9x users now are a very small minority, and as far as I am aware Avast will be the last to cease support in December

Not even Microsofts MSE supports 9x

Joan A

Joan A

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
So, how does one protect a W98 PC on the internet? There has to be something. By no support, does that mean no virus updates?

Edited by Joan A, 18 October 2010 - 02:07 PM.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Correct virus updates will cease although the main programme will continue running

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yes by no support it means no updates as well as no programs that will support Win98.
I did find this on oldversions.com for AVG.
You would need version 7.0.298 to make sure it will cover Win98.
As Essexboy has stated there is no guarantee you will get any updates tot he virus definitions. He is more qualified to tell you as he is in my opinion one of our best Malware Techs.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi.

Exactly the same problem on Anne's computer. No option but the upgrade, hates Vista so installed XP but will probable end up with the same issue in a couple of years.