Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Best method of backing up stuff? Online? Software?

• Please log in to reply

• PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
I would like your imput on the best ways to backup data? Recently, I had a computer system failure and thought I lost everything. I use Mozy and while backing up stuff is easy, restoring it is not. Also, I use their unlimited plan, but if you want to talk to someone, you have to pay for the more expensive plan and the only benefit to that additional cost if that you can talk to a tech and nothing more. I do have a small (30 gig) Western Digial external drive that I keep my music and stuff on. However, I would like something that is fairly easy to use. I have read that there are programs that will take an "image" of your computer and then others just back up data that you direct it to. Is a software program the way to go and if so, which one is best and why? Thanks in advance for your help!

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,751 posts
There are many variables that need to be considered when trying to devise the 'best' backup solution for your particular setup and needs. The following page is a good starting point:

Wikipedia > Backup

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,302 posts
There are numerous programs that are free/and or paid. I prefer free.
I use Syncback Free.
You can set it to back up all folders and files or just specific folders and files.

Edited by 123Runner, 27 October 2010 - 05:43 AM.