Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unstable after Win 32/Alureon.H Malware removal

• Please log in to reply

Manc

Manc

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi :D

12/10/10 - updated Malwarebytes & it found an infected driver and was unable to heal it. I had Avg 2011 (now have MS.Sec.Ess.), Updated Avg & ran its scan, it found the same file & named it Win32/Patched.DX. With no Avg knowledgebase info on it, i googled it and its the win32/Alureon.H ....apparently....
Neither could clean it as its a white-listed .sys file.
The virus itself didnt seem to do much, my web is slow in this part of uk so im never really sure, but no-redirecting just the odd 'explorer has encountered a problem & needs to close' error message and the sudden drop of the windows and a slow desktop refresh type occurance and it was back to ok... but i wanted to clean up whatever Mbam & Avg had found.

Browsed for info & help on web while i updated windows, windows then installed a few including MSR tool.
This found 1 file & partially cleaned the file, then left me with 2 instructions... one was 'some manual steps to be taken', and then a full scan with my anti-virus...easy i thought...
The manual steps included having the Recovory Console, which appears to be present after tapping f8 @ bootup.. is this the correct recovory console?? - but it didn't work anyway as i couldnt access my XP cd via the Recovory Console screen to copy files accross..(and it named my cd drive F: not D: - i do have 2 other h/d installed so i presumed its ok)...
It wouldn't access F: anyway so i gave in and i left it, booted up, ran Avg again & it found 2 more + the original .sys file - these new ones i could see were 'MRT.exe' and the same but with 'memory 08de0000' at the end. I knew MRT had the file somewhere so presume both new infections were acceptable for now.
Avg then 'cleaned' the MRT.exe infection which i thought could cause MRT to crash or something @ reboot - it didnt.. but avg then had 2 files it couldn't deal with.. so i just gave in & rebooted when finished.

All seemed well, but i knew by the recent bootup & down times, initial internet connection page speed etc that something was still wrong so i re-scanned both Mbam & avg again, this time checking all boxes and Avg found Trojan Gen19.AGYH & Trojan Gen19.AGYV in 4 files, 3 being spool .dll's & 1 was sys32\config temp file, it cleaned them all.
I doubted my efforts had erased it as i had the win32/virut virus in 2009 and ended up re-installing windows, but i had more faith in removing this one as it didnt eat .exe files like virut did, so I rebooted again and browsed for more help incase i had trouble with my XP disc.
I found this site and saw the mentioned win32/Alureon infection listed... mine didnt do what all others did with the re-directing so i didnt follow any leads there, but i did see i had to get rid of Avg as its now bloated and I got Win Security Essentials and will prob get Comodo Fwall...

Win.Sec Ess found 1 & cleaned it, Mbam then found nothing, and they still don't find anything today, but i now have Windows File Protection popping up at every bootup saying a need to replace files in the dll cache.. my XP cd-rom is apparently an 'older version than the one on the pc' and cannot copy from it using Recovory Console. This window will not go away so how do i find out whats missing ( i did note the 3 spool dll's that the gen19 trojan infected), i mean how do i know for sure which important windows files need replacing? the web seems to work ok today, pc is slow at bootup and bootdown is much worse. i havent tried every software yet but i've had no other difficulties since.
Please help me with the File Protection so i can be sure my pc is clean & fixed...

Thanks

Edited by Manc, 18 October 2010 - 04:49 PM.

Advertisements