Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Linksys Router

• Please log in to reply

Niles

Niles

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
I have bought a Linksys WRT160N-UK to replace a Netgear router, which has been playing up, and which will hopefully work better.

One thing is causing confusion - it was the last one in the store (on a half price offer)and the box doesn't say whether it is for cable or a BT line (ADSL?). The guy in the store thought it would work with both as all the others for sale (Belkins and Netgear) specified one or the other in large lettering.

Rather than open the box and have an argument about a refund I checked on line but have been unable to find a definitive answer - not even on the Linksys website - some others suggest this model is cable only which would be no good to me.

If anyone can assist and confirm which I have it would be much appreciated.

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
It doesn't matter if the incoming line is Cable or DSL. The WRT160N(-UK) is simply an internet-sharing router (with built-in wireless access point and 4-port switch).

Your Cable or DSL ISP (Internet Service Provider) supplies a 'modem' for hooking up a single computer via a RJ45 [Ethernet] cable. If you have more than one computer you probably want to share that single connection to the internet.

Unplug the RJ45 cable from the back of your computer and plug it into the WRT160N(-UK) instead. You are now ready to share your single 'modem' connection to the internet by plugging in up to 4 hard-wired devices into the back of the WRT160N(-UK) or wirelessly.

Niles

Niles

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Thanks for the reply - I take it that I have made a mistake as I thought the router had a built in modem as does my current Netgear one. I only have laptops in the house so don't want to be plugging anything into the router just connect wirelessly! The device will have to go back!

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
so you don't have a modem supplied by your ISP?

Niles

Niles

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
No that went in the bin when I got the netgear router which has a built in modem - I didn't think it was needed anymore. I will take the Linksys thing back and get a router with a built in modem again - but not a Netgear one as I have been unimpressed with its reliability.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
ok, i was just making sure you weren't going to be wasting money taking something back that would have worked.

good luck