Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can an attachment sent in an email change content from the sender?

• Please log in to reply

Wish_I_was_ computer_geek

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I have no idea what would be the appropriate forum for my question, so if the admin. can find a more
appropriate one, please move my question there for me.

My concern: I received an attachment in an email, the report was listed with 2 dates, and several
pages long. The attachment was sent only once in the intial email, although the same email was used in correspondence
with the individual several times. ( I realize this in retrospect, and have no idea of its relevance, but want to offer this
info. if it makes sense to anyone who understands computers and attachments.)

Several days later when I opened it again, one date was missing, and the last page was gone. Within a 20 minute period I opened it again,
the report was back to what it was originally.

How can such a thing happen? No one else has access to my computer but myself.

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
If the attachment contains a link to the actual document, (instead of the document itself), then yes, the actual document could be quite different the next time you view it.

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

If the attachment contains a link to the actual document, (instead of the document itself), then yes, the actual document could be quite different the next time you view it.

That is the explanation a friend gave me too, same one. But the attachment is not a link, and I printed out a copy of the
report showing one date missing from the original and the last page missing. But to change back again, it is very odd.

I witnessed this twice over several days.
When I emailed my friend the attachment, the content never changes for him, only on my computer.

I imagine it is possible there was a glitch with Microsoft somehow, but I am suspicious, as this report may be used to
replace the original when it is finally sent out to a school and the information is confidential and it appears it may end up being
tampered with. If I took my computer to a computer expert and they could see it for themselves, would they be more likely then to tell
me how that could happen?

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

If I took my computer to a computer expert and they could see it for themselves, would they be more likely then to tell me how that could happen?

Yes.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i moved this back out of the malware forum because i don't think it belongs there.

do you have multiple working versions of this file? like, ones that don't have all of the tabs that are in the master etc...?

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

If I took my computer to a computer expert and they could see it for themselves, would they be more likely then to tell me how that could happen?

Yes.

Thank you, can one find a reputable through a web search in my area? I would like to
know what to ask to ensure I find the right person.

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

i moved this back out of the malware forum because i don't think it belongs there.

do you have multiple working versions of this file? like, ones that don't have all of the tabs that are in the master etc...?

Thank you for moving this to the appropriate forum.

I am so unfamiliar with computers, I honestly don't know how to answer your question.

This has been very frustrating for me, and unnerving too.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

I am so unfamiliar with computers, I honestly don't know how to answer your question.

do you have any other versions of this attachment that you're working on that have the same name as the one that you attached

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

do you have any other versions of this attachment that you're working on that have the same name as the one that you attached

I'm not sure what you mean. I was sent in one email an attachment, I downloaded it to my computer but sometimes
I opened it up from the email and clicked on run, to read it through again. I have corresponded with the sender through that email
on several occassions over several days..but only one attachment was sent.

He could not of altered it then before he emails it back, could he?

I don't work on the attachment,( not sure what you mean by that) I haven't done anything with it but make a copy of it when I first received it. It was sent to represent a completed report authored by the sender.

It was by coincidence that I opened it and saw one date missing and the last page gone. I wish I understood what happened.

Thank you for your time again. I appreciate it.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

yeah, he can....if you're not actually modifying anything, just reading the file and then asking questions or whatever to the sender he could just attach a different version on his end before he sends it back.

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

yeah, he can....if you're not actually modifying anything, just reading the file and then asking questions or whatever to the sender he could just attach a different version on his end before he sends it back.

Oh wow...and would the size of the attachment necessarily change too? When one page was missing, I have to say I did not notice
if the (#'s) indicating the size of the attachment changed or not.

Thank you very much for your response.