Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

First Time Upgrade

• Please log in to reply

Condor62

Condor62

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I am about to replace the hard drive which is showing signs of failing. I currently have a Maxtor HDD installed via an IDE connection. The MB is an MSI K8MM-V which has 2 empty SATA connections as well as the IDE connections. If I install a SATA HDD instead will I be able to run the Maxtor as a slave drive via the grey IDE connector to copy the files still on it ?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,019 posts

If I install a SATA HDD instead will I be able to run the Maxtor as a slave drive via the grey IDE connector to copy the files still on it?

Yes as long as the SATA HDD is set to boot before the IDE HDD in the BIOS.
Easiest way to do this for me would be to 1: Disconnect the IDE HDD power and data ribbon 2: Fit and connect the SATA HDD and power up 3: Format the new HDD and then install the OS, make sure your computer is running stably 4: Re-connect the IDE HDD and use Windows Explorer to transfer your data across to the SATA HDD.
Please make sure you remove the power cord from the wall before opening your computer case.

Condor62

Condor62

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thanks for answer

Condor62

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,019 posts