Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MacBook Pro Hates My Wrists

• Please log in to reply

UnQuotidian

UnQuotidian

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi there,

I have a 2006 MacBook Pro that I've cared for lovingly and tenderly since I got it.

Until recently, when a speaker fell off a shelf and gave the edge a grimace. I tried to straighten it out using I won't tell you what (a flathead screwdriver), and then decided just to let it be before I caused more problems. The only thing that was really affected was the CD drive, which I can basically live without.

That is, until...I bought an off-brand replacement battery. The new battery seems slightly ill fitting. It pushes the mousepad up from underneath, just a little. The combo of pushing up in the middle, and crunching down on the right side, has created a terrible hassle. I think without the other issue, the battery wouldn't cause this problem on its own.

If my wrists hit the top of the laptop even slightly, the cursor clicks off everywhere but where I want it. Entire emails or pages of writing get highlighted and delete themselves. Or the cursor takes off and lands somewhere else on the page, and then the new words I'm typing interrupt existing words, so I have to delete a bunch and retype. Cntrl+Z has saved mostly everything so far, but typing anything (including this post) takes twice as long. And I can't just relax. I have to hover my arms all weird so nothing but my fingertips touch the computer.

Pic attached. Any ideas? Should I employ a wrench? Yikes.

Thanks!
L

Attached Thumbnails

• grouchydiskdrive.jpg
  • grouchydiskdrive2.jpg

Advertisements

ZaRMan

ZaRMan

• PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
yikes, do you still have the warranty, try taking it back to apple

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
.....oh the irony. everyone was very excited about the all metal construction of the macbook and how it would make the thing so much more sturdy....woops!

if the contraption is off warranty, the best way that i could think to fix it would be to actually take the thing apart and straighten out the bent piece that way. trying to unbend that commotion while it's all in one piece will just result in more bending.