Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Really? External HD can't work w/ PC & Mac?

• Please log in to reply

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Hello,

I often will work images on my work Mac (currently OS 10.4) but want to store them on my home PC (mainly Vista). I was just going to get an external HD to move them and help back them up. I thought I could just use the HD just like Jump Drives, just copy jpeg onto it and move it when home.

Do you really have to reformat the HD so it only works on one format?

Much thanks,
bamakodaker

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Mac OS does not officially support NTFS file system that you get on Windows.
A third-party application is available for this, such as http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS-3G (others may be available)

The only really universal route is to format the drive as FAT32, which Mac OS and all versions of Windows from Windows 98 through to 7 can read. The other issue you'll have is Windows is will refuse to format a hard drive bigger than 32Gb in FAT32 format. It will want to do it NTFS. Solution may be to format it on the Mac.

The limitation of a FAT32 file system is that no individual file can be bigger than 4Gb in size. Apart from that, business as usual.

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Ouch. Not an answer I wanted! lol

I just heard something that may apply here. I don't understand it though so I might be confused.
You will have problems trying to share an external HD between a PC and Mac, as in transfer files between the two.
However, if you had the external HD as part of your network then there wouldn't be a problem. Correct?
I'm sitting here with a wireless router and I even have a wired router somewhere. If the above is true then I could just 'simply' make a home network?
And how much trouble is making a home network?

Edited by bamakodaker, 19 October 2010 - 07:33 PM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
For sharing files over a network, the file system of the drive is irrelevant, or it is under Windows anyway. It should be irrelevant under Mac Os as well.

As to making a home network - plug or connect a computer to a router and you have a network. Then share appropriate files or drives or what you need to. Simple as that.