Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Explorer.exe ordinal not found -No icons on Desktop

• Please log in to reply

scottzajaczkowski

scottzajaczkowski

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
I use Windows XP professional and I started to have problems with Internet Explorer so I thought I would delete the program and then reinstall it. I went to remove programs deleteled it and the restarted computer. Upon reboot, I get my desktop with no icons. i do get two boxes that open "Wgatray.exe ordinal not found-the ordinal 421 could not be located in the dynamic link library urlmon.dll" and the next box is "explorer.exe ordinal not found"

I can get to the task manager and even the command prompt but nothing else. Trying to do a system resore but I cant.

Edited by scottzajaczkowski, 19 October 2010 - 06:45 PM.

Advertisements

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,757 posts
Hello and :D

The solution is right under your nose. http://www.geekstogo...air-windows-xp/

scottzajaczkowski

scottzajaczkowski

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I found my windows Xp disc and it is cracked, is there a way to repair XP without the disc?

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,757 posts
No! You will have to borrow one from a friend.

scottzajaczkowski

scottzajaczkowski

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I used the XP Professional disc from boot; I get install page and it asks the partition I want to install on; then i select the correct partition and i get the next screen that reads

"caution: a \windows folder already exists that may contain a windows installation. If you continue, the existing windows version will be overwritten,

It gives me three choices 1) to delete press L, 2) use different folder press "esc" 3) to quit press F3

I think I originally the operating system was "Microsoft® Windows® XP Media Center Edition 2005 with Update Rollup 2" but I bought the XP professional Upgrade disc and installed. Is this the reason it does not give me the repair option?

What should I do next?