Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

forgotten password

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

wendytechnotard

wendytechnotard

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My sweet boyfriend wants to give me his laptop cause he got a new one and I can use it for school. Problem is that he last used it over a year ago before he left for tour in Afghanistan and he can't remember his password!! Is it possible to reset a password without remembering the original? I don't know what kind it is, but I'll check tomorrow when I go to his house. I'm pretty sure he does not have the system discs that came with the computor (but he might surprise me lol) Figured I'd see if it was even a possibility first... TIA!!

Advertisements

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Hello Wendytechnotard,

I'm really sorry to say, but we can't help you bypass any passwords here at Geeks to Go.
I would like to refer to our Terms of Use you agreed to when you joined this site.

If you have any questions or remarks, please don't hesitate to contact me or any other member of the Moderation Team.

Regards,
Olrik

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
If you have lost or forgotten your password for logging in to a computer running the Windows XP operating system, there are a few different options:

If you created a password reset disk for Windows XP, you can use that disk to reset the password on your account. For more information on how to create and use password reset disks go to the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

How to create and use a password reset disk for a computer that is not a domain member in Windows XP

How to create and use a password reset disk for a computer in a domain in Windows XP

If you don't have a password reset disk, the other option is to log on as the Administrator (or to have the person who is the machine's Administrator log on) and change the password for your user account. For information on how to do this go to the following Microsoft article:

How to Log On to Windows XP If You Forget Your Password or Your Password Expires.

If you don't know the Administrator password, and don't have a password reset disk, then you will not be able to log on to Windows XP, and will need to reinstall the operating system and recreate any user accounts.

Due to the fact that we cannot verify the truthfulness of your request, we cannot offer any other help to recover any passwords for any system or software installed on your (or anyone Else's) computer. You may very well be asking for legitimate help in a legitimate situation but we cannot be sure of this. For all we know you could be a child trying to get into a parent's account or worse, someone trying to gain access to information that you have been explicitly denied access to by someone of higher authority.

If you have any problems with this please contact a Moderator or an Admin...