Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Inspiron 1525 won' boot

• Please log in to reply

megafresh

megafresh

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Alright I've spent all night on forums looking for a fix, the ones I've found haven't worked so let me ask. My girlfriends laptop stopped booting up this morning.

On Power on:
Media lights flash left to right
Power light solid blue
Fan starts then stop after about 5 seconds
Hard drives spins up then stops

What I've tried

Trying to discharge the cmos battery by unplugging and removing battery and holding down power button for 60 seconds: No change
FN + Power button for diagnostic boot: No change
Removed/Swapped RAM: No Change
Took it apart and reseated all connections: No change

So any suggestions or am I looking at a fried mobo?

Thanks

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Hi megafresh :D sorry to hear you are having this issue.
Has the laptop had any other issues leading up to this such as shutting down on its own etc!
Has the inside of the computer ever been cleaned out of heat trapping dust especially the CPU
fan and the exhaust vents, the symptoms you are describing are typical of a clogged or faulty
CPU fan which causes the CPU to overheat and so the thermal sensor on the MB may be shutting
down the system to protect the CPU from frying, the video chip could also be responsible for this.
Things to look at;
Can you try connecting the laptop to another screen using a vga port.
Shine a torch into the laptop screen and look carefully to see if you can see icons/images in
the background.
Remove the main battery and try using only the AC adapter to run the laptop.

Trying to discharge the cmos battery by unplugging and removing battery and holding down power button for 60 seconds

Which battery did you remove, was it the silver one normally a CR2302 type that is on the MB?
This sometimes does help but only removing the main power battery does not discharge the CMOS.

megafresh

megafresh

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Yup removed the motherbboard battery, tried to hook up a vga monitor to no avail. fan is not clogged and even if it were it shouldnt shut down after running for 5 seconds? Is that enough time for either the gpu or cpu to overheat? Already tried running without the battery (plugged in. Also shined a light into the lcd, there were no images displayed.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Different MBs will shut down quicker than others to protect the CPU so that one is a hard one to answer, as the fan is not clogged it would appear to rule that out, can you check if the CPU fan continues to run after powering on to rule that out.
Have you tried removing the Ram and powering up to see if you get any beeps, it will not boot but if you get any beeps it may point to the onboard video being bad, one other thing I recall causing a similar issue was a faulty HDD, you could try removing it and replacing it in case of a bad connection.

megafresh

megafresh

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
fan keeps running, i've swapped hard drives with no result.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
What about powering up with the Ram removed? Any difference, any error beeps?
If not it may suggest a bad CPU, MB or bad video chip and if it is the video chip, as it is integrated into the MB the board would effectively be dead and not cost effective to replace, sorry I can`t think of anything else to try.

megafresh

megafresh

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
no beeps when i removed the ram. no beeps board seems dead. Thanks for the advice.