Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Confused about backing up and syncing PCs and HDs

• Please log in to reply

capper

capper

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
I have 2 laptops that I am presently using. One is a Panasonic with Windows XP and a 60 GB HD. The other is a new Acer with Windows 7 and a 320 GB HD. In addition, I have 2 external HDs that I use for backup -- a 160GB and a 1000GB.

I want to have my main files synced on both laptops as well as on both my HDs. I am confused about the best way to backup and sync my files on a regular basis. I have been using synctoy for a couple of years with my Panasonic laptop with XP. My new laptop with Windows 7 has a backup / restore function.

Anyway, I need a reliable / systematic way to sync my files. The files include lots of documents, pictures, music, and files that backup my address book, favorites, and stuff like that. Can anyone suggest anything?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
depending on the size of the files you could use something like dropbox which would sync the files out to an internet account and you'd have the same versions of the files available from anywhere on the planet.

if you're just concerned about syncing across the LAN in your home you could check out syncback by 2bright sparks it allows you to sync files one way, sync files both ways, sync to FTP, sync on a schedule, sync when things change....just about anything

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
I will vote for Syncback also. It is a great (and free) program. It does anything that you want it to do.