Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem with audio as well as web browsers

• Please log in to reply

capnblubs

capnblubs

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
I've got two separate but probably related issues...I think both are ultimately due to recent malware infections. I cleaned those up (I think), Malwarebytes and Avira scans both come up clean, but there is residual damage.

Namely:

1) Audio...won't work in Firefox. Also can't open volume control ("no active mixer devices available") I have tried a bunch of different things with no luck

2) Internet Explorer wasn't working properly (I'm almost 100% certain this was due to malware) so I uninstalled it and downloaded the newer version, but it won't install properly, giving me the message that it can't verify the integrity of Update.inf and telling me to make sure Cryptographic Services is running. I investigated that service and found that while it was properly set to automatically initialize, I can't get it to start.

I'm running Windows XP Media Center Edition

Thanks in advance for any advice you might have

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts

1) Audio...won't work in Firefox. Also can't open volume control ("no active mixer devices available") I have tried a bunch of different things with no luck

Is audio OK generally, from the quote cannot open volume control I presume not.
If it is see this
http://support.mozil...ound in Firefox
The link appears to relate at first glance to Vista, but read further down the page.

If it is NOT OK generally, check Hardware, Device Manager and se if you have any warnings against Sound, Video and Game Controllers heading.
You get there by START, right click my computer and then click properties.

Re IE installation - did you disable your anti-virus for the installation.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949220
but in relation to your particular error see this
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822798

and which IE were you uninstalling please.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 21 October 2010 - 02:04 PM.

capnblubs

capnblubs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
Thanks I will try all these links and test some stuff out.

But to answer the questions for now...

- As you presumed, audio is not generally okay...works fine for playing music, etc. that are located on my computer, but I can't control it with a universal mixer of any kind...can only adjust volume within Windows Media Player itself, for instance...and even that program is taking forever to load for some reason

- I record music on this computer and when I've hooked up some of that equipment (pre-amp, USB interface etc.), upon next restart I actually have temporarily restored mixer device capabilities...and then after a while an error message comes up, and I'm back to non-functionality

- I didn't disable anti-virus as I should have when I tried the IE install...

- Now that I've removed it I don't remember what version I had before...one residual file seems to indicate IE6 but that seems old...

capnblubs

capnblubs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
I'm sorry to bombard you with so much information but here are my current issues:

1) First the (somewhat) good news. I went through a list of possible fixes suggested by the microsoft support site, and finally after un-registering (which upon reboot was initially giving me blue screen of death so I had to resort to safe mode with networking) and re-registering cryptographic services-associated DLLs I was able to install the new IE.

However...it won't connect to the internet properly, just like before (which was the reason I uninstalled it in the first place). I also have recently downloaded Google Chrome and it won't work either, only Firefox with the aforementioned inconsistent audio.

I ran a diagnostic..."network adapter diagnostic" is fine, "winsock diagnostic" failed, ftp connection was fine, but it failed to make an http or https connection.

I've also had problems with certain programs connecting to the internet for updates...most likely because they're running into the same roadblocks as IE. I don't know why Firefox is able to get around those roadblocks because I'm not experienced enough to investigate related settings without expert advice.

2) At the moment audio is working on Firefox but that's because the active mixers haven't had their mysterious failure yet. I suppose it's possible that issue has gone away for good but I won't know until I've waited a while longer.

3) I continue to have an issue where, upon closing Firefox, the process firefox.exe will remain active and I have to end the process to be able to re-open the browser.

4) Within a couple minutes of Windows loading, I always get a message about C:\WINDOWS\msdmsp.dll failing to load. I tried googling that dll and came up with nothing...the closest thing is mspmsp.dll which I was able to locate in the system32 folder. But the one that fails to load...I'm not even sure why it would be doing so in the first place unless it's malware-related or something.

Thanks for your help so far, at least I've got one part of the problem fixed

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Go Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, There you should see IE No Add ons. Start it from there will it now connect.

In relation to the failure to load the dll.msdmsp.dll open search that is start, search, use search companion that is at the bottom right of that window. Configure it for hidden files and folders, search it on C drive and type in that file name.
See if the system finds that.
NOTE where it reports it.
DO NOT make any attempt to copy that dll. if it is found to the System files.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 25 October 2010 - 01:48 PM.

capnblubs

capnblubs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
1) No connection that way either.

2) Did not locate msdmsp.dll

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Run this.
It may just work.
It will not do any harm whatsoever, even if it does not fix it.
http://www.snapfiles...nsockxpfix.html

capnblubs

capnblubs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
Ran it, re-booted. No luck. Ran the diagnostic again and winsock is still one of the problems.

And still can't update things, such as my Avira. It won't connect properly.

Plus of course the msdmsp error comes up when Windows loads. I don't know what connection this has to anything but a folder for a separate user account on the computer pops up at the same time as that error message and I just have to close it each time. It's C:\Documents and Settings\(my wife's name) even though we never really log on to that account...

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Run this please
http://www.superanti...ANTISPYWAREFREE

AND pls check that file name

C:\WINDOWS\msdmsp.dll

Edited by Macboatmaster, 25 October 2010 - 04:48 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I have just reviewed all the thread.
If my last post does not work
Go My Computer - right click the drive carrying windows.
Click Properties
Click Tools
Click Error checking.
Click Check Now
Click to check the box automatically fix file system errors.
Click Start
Click to agree run on restart and do so.
DO NOT INTERRUPT IT.
If you do not read the results in time to note them
Go Control Panel Administrative functions Event Viewer,Application, scroll down to the first Winlogon, double click and the results of the chkdsk will be there.

The go Start, run and type "sfc /scannow" without quotes and note space betwen sfc and /.
This will not give you a result it will just complete, but you may be asked for the XP CD.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 25 October 2010 - 05:32 PM.

Advertisements

capnblubs

capnblubs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
Ran SAS, it found some things which I cleaned up.

Ran the checker, I don't think it found anything of note but I can't really tell...

Ran the scan, and it's telling me to insert the XP SP3 CD to copy DLLs to the cache.

Problem is, XP Media Center Edition was pre-installed on my computer. Ridiculously, I had to pay to request an installation CD when I had problems a couple years ago. What I have in hand is the XP Media Center Edition with Service Pack 2 CD...and like I said the scanner is requesting SP3 and saying I have inserted the wrong disk. Are there any workarounds for this?

Thanks

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Did it find file errors.
Did it report any bad sectors.
The results are where I told you.

capnblubs

capnblubs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
Event Type: Information
Event Source: Winlogon
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1001
Date: 10/25/2010
Time: 7:49:01 PM
User: N/A
Computer: GOMPERS
Description:
Checking file system on C:
The type of the file system is NTFS.

Cleaning up minor inconsistencies on the drive.
Cleaning up 2200 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 2200 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 2200 unused security descriptors.

73184107 KB total disk space.
52151012 KB in 130087 files.
63584 KB in 15018 indexes.
0 KB in bad sectors.
243567 KB in use by the system.
65536 KB occupied by the log file.
20725944 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
18296026 total allocation units on disk.
5181486 allocation units available on disk.

Internal Info:
50 84 02 00 dc 36 02 00 f9 6e 03 00 00 00 00 00 P....6...n......
e4 2c 00 00 06 00 00 00 b1 0e 00 00 00 00 00 00 .,..............
c2 ad f7 0b 00 00 00 00 ec f4 56 77 00 00 00 00 ..........Vw....
54 11 e4 29 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 T..)............
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 5c 43 66 ae 00 00 00 00 ........\Cf.....
c0 e2 43 be 00 00 00 00 a8 39 07 00 27 fc 01 00 ..C......9..'...
00 00 00 00 00 90 0b 6f 0c 00 00 00 aa 3a 00 00 .......o.....:..

Windows has finished checking your disk.
Please wait while your computer restarts.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft....ink/events.asp.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
You were correct there was no problem there.
There are a number of workarounds to the system file checker, but the easiest in your case is to slipstream SP3 to the CD. or rather to the CD you make from the one you have.
This will be useful as it will also enable you to carry out a repair installation should you ever need to.
Did you check that file name - beacuse I suspect it has an "s" on the end - my post 9.
Slipstream instructions to follow

capnblubs

capnblubs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
Yeah I'm 100% sure that the one it's attempting to locate is msdmsp.dll

Like I said it's strange because that doesn't even seem to be a standard file...on the other hand I've found a bunch of information online on msPmsp.dll, and I was able to find that one. But that's not what it's trying to open.