Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Lexar 8GB USB

• Please log in to reply

Wafflemonger

Wafflemonger

• PipPipPip
  • 548 posts
My Lexar 8GB USB is showing that there are 8GB available, however it won't let me copy over anything larger than 3GB. I have formatted multiple times, however this does not help. It shows this on every computer, and does not work on any. So it is a problem with the USB. If anyone can assist me with this I will be grateful. I've already spent an hour on google to no avail. Maybe someone here has an idea.

I am fully aware that not all 8GB will be available to me, however it shows Used Space 4.00KB, Free Space 7.45GB

Advertisements

dennisK16

dennisK16

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
Hello waffle,

you USB stick is probably formatted in FAT32.
The maximum possible size for a file on a FAT32 volume is 4 GB minus 1 byte!
To solve this you have to reformat your USB stick in NTFS (New Technology File System).

see picture below

[attachment=45427:untitled.JPG]

Wafflemonger

Wafflemonger

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 548 posts
Yes, I finally appreciate a helpful answer, not one person has given me the answer needed and i have asked many. I appreciate your assistance, thank you.

dennisK16

dennisK16

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
your welcome glad i could help! :D

D