Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP is frustrating me !

• Please log in to reply

Dilworth

Dilworth

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello Guys,
I am having problems with installing windows XP on my Computer. First, when i try to boot my computer from the CD, I dont see the phrase "Press any key to boot from CD......", which i used to see last time when I installed a fresh copy of xp on my computer.

Second, after booting from CD and after setup loads the files on my pc and after hitting "Enter" to install the xp. I get the message, "Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer."

Even though the hard drive is plugged in. It is not SATA drive. I don't know may be i have problem with my BIOS. i even took the CMOS out and reset the settings and then loaded defult settings. if i go to my AMIBIOS setup, under Standard CMOS setup its reads as:

pri master: not installed
pri slave: CD ROM
sec master: not installed
sec slave: not installed
Under IDE HDD AUTO DETECTION it reads the same as well. Please help as it frustrates me sooo much now !!!

Thanks for your time reading all this !!

Advertisements

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Hmm... did you try checking the IDE connector, and make sure it is clean? If you have another IDE port on your motherboard try plugging the HDD in there.
I've been away from the forum and computers in general for about a year now, so sorry if my reply isn't any good.
Good luck, and post back with any more troubleshooting you did. :D

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Is the HDD connected to the correct connector on the motherboard.
Usually but not always blue colour.
Is the ribbon cable from the motherboard to the HDD an 80 wire IDE cable and is the blue end conneted to the M/B
Is the HDD jumpered as master, slave or cable select.
Is the CD on the same cable, ie dual or on its own.
Have the cables been changed.
Disconnect the CD cable
Connect only the HDD
Is the HDD receiving power.
Is the HDD detetcion set to auto in the BIOS