Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem after XP Home repair

• Please log in to reply

chardcr

chardcr

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Have performed XP Home repair (OEM SP2 CD) after infection with Aurora spyware. When attempting to restart Windows every thing looks normal until at the Logon page am asked for passwords to old accounts. Old passwords do not work (including blank password and correct original administrator password when re-trying in safe mode).

At every Logon attempt the following message is displayed:

The System cannnot log you on due to the following error:
The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted.
Please try again or consult your system administrator.

This is a stand alone home PC!

Thought that XP HOME could not log onto a domain.

Can anyone help?

Alternatively how do I go about rescuing important old files from the sick PC before re-formatting the HC and trying a fresh install of XP?

Many thanks

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
is that all you did, a repair install, or did you try something else, and then that?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
also, does your xp cd have an option for using repair and use the recovery console to fix windows?

chardcr

chardcr

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Yes, XP CD has repair option and use of recovery console option

I attempted to run repair on two occassions before re-installing Windows, I also ran Bootfix from recovery console.

Thanks

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
so we are....where? Looking to repair? or Looking to rescue...I have never run into an XP Home machine trying to connect to a domain, but I have found a few other instances on the internet and no one has come up with a solution.

Having it in front of me would be....an interesting challenge. I don't know if we can do this on line, though.

You said earlier a rescue was acceptable...still the case?

chardcr

chardcr

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Yes, Rescue or Repair are both fine.

Edited by chardcr, 27 May 2005 - 06:43 PM.

mitya

mitya

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Sorry for posting in existing topic, but I'm troubled with exactly the same problem!

The repair took place after MB replacement and it went fine, but now I can't login not even as Administrator in Safe Mode.

I've spent hours on net trying to find solution but so far - no luck... A lot of articles, tips&tricks, but none of them is about this, although the error message is the same.

I've tried LCP with importing sam (& system) file, accounts were found, but with NO PASSWORDS(?). Tried with empty pswd a long before that...

Format+install is OK, but I really need existing docs!

Is there a solution?

Thanks.

chardcr

chardcr

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi,

I did not find a solution to the XP problem.

To rescue the essential files I down loaded Barts PE (www.nu2.nu/pebuilder) giving an OS with limited functionality, and used it to burn the essential files onto CD.
You may also be able to use a USB hard drive or flash drive if you instal the correct drivers when creating the PE boot disk. Interesting but frustrating and time consuming and it took some time to get it right, but it worked in the end.

I then formatted HD and reinstalled XP etc.

Good Luck

chardcr

mitya

mitya

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Time consumin', that one's true...

Thanx for reply, chardcr! :tazz: