Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Downloading mystery

• Please log in to reply

Mutch

Mutch

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi
Not sure if I am the correct place, but here goes:
Have a yellow shield icon on bottom toolbar which continually says " Downloading updates: 6%" What is this, should I worry about it, is it actually downloading?
Thanks from the cyber desert.

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
It sounds like you windows updates, if you double click on it you should be able to see what is downloading.

Mutch

Mutch

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi Alzemer
Absolutely nothing wrong with your English. Wan't to try my French? Seriously, double clicking on the icon yeilds nothing. Also, nothing seems to be downloading on my connection either ????
Thanks,

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
You cannot see the downloaded updates until windows updates reach 100%. If you suspect that windows updates is stuck, go to Control Panel, open Automatic Updates, check the option that cancels automatic updates and click Apply. Now enable automatic updates and click Apply. This should wipe off the 6% which is downloaded and will start a new download. If still no good, please let us know.

Mutch

Mutch

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi Skeptic
Unable to turn Auto Updates off and then back on as all is greyed out by previous Administrator. What now?
Cheers

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
If you are not in the administrator account or you are not the administrator, then you need to be.
That is the only way you can do what The Skeptic suggests.
We need to try that 1st.

Mutch

Mutch

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi Guys
I am not the Administrator and do not know what that password is. Did however try a boot and now updates is stuck at 5% :D

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
We may have a problem here (Administrator etc.). Try to download Dial-A-Fix from list below. Run the program and click Fix Windows Update. A number of boxes will check automatically. Click Go.

If, as suggested by 123runner, the previous administrator limited other users access to Control Panel or to Windows Updates, then what I suggested may not help.

Mutch

Mutch

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi
Thanks for the Dial a fix. It removed the restriction, but Skeptic's sujestion does not clear the 5% problem. Seems like I should be getting past the 5% mark, right?
Cheers,

Mutch

Mutch

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi
I almost think we are getting somewhere....Where, is the issue ;)

Dial a fix got around the Administrator problem. Could not get things going so I did a manuel download of updates ( 100MB in 5 hours.....isn't 3G great!) Question is why do I still have the message " Downloading updates: 7% "? Have I not downloaded all the available updates for now :D
Cheers,
Ken