Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

What are the best brands of wireless adapter?

• Please log in to reply

EGD Eric

EGD Eric

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi, I bought a trendnet TEW 423 PI a couple years back, and I've had problems with it. More and more over the years, until just after the warranty is over it refuses to work at all. (unless its right next to the router, but... that defeats the purpose of it being wireless) I'm shopping for a new wireless card, but I don't want to get burned again. I'd like to know your opinions on what brands are best (distance, speed, reliability, longevity). I've been noticing a lot of TP link on the shelves, but I've never heard of them, any opinion on them?

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts
Installed one of these in a Windows 7 64-bit box a few months back and haven't heard a single complaint yet. (Knock on wood. :D).

Newegg.com > TP-LINK TL-WN781ND IEEE 802.11b/g/n PCI Express Wireless Adapter Up to 150Mbps Wireless Data Rates 64/128-Bit WEP, WPA, WPA2 - $19.99 with free shipping
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16833704059

ZaRMan

ZaRMan

• PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
Atheros is a pretty good brand too, I've got it in my HP Pavillion (64 bit Win 7) and the range is really good, works from as far as the router will go

EGD Eric

EGD Eric

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
What about D-link? Are they reliable? The guy at the store said they were "old news", but you'll excuse me if I don't take his word for it. Any truth to his statement? I'm looking for something that will last well past the warranty. Anyone else got any opinions? Best brands? Brands to avoid?