Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem with external disc and administrator rights

• Please log in to reply

Moshi

Moshi

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
So few weeks ago I've been messing with something, I don't remember exactly what but afterwards I couldn't access my external My Book anymore as windows required some administrative rights (my windows account is an administrative one). With help of internet I somehow reversed the status so I could access my disc normaly but these icons were still there:

Posted Image

Note: Subfolders don't have that icon.

Problem came back today when I was sorting some files, trying to rename, copy, ... And windows wouldn't let me saying I need administrative rights! I couldn't even open the file normally in Subtitle workshop, saying it cannot be accessed. With help of Unlocker I moved the file to desktop and it worked normally there. So that mess I did weeks ago is to blame lots of files on My Book don't work as they should. So how can I fully repair this condition, clearly having something to do with accounts and administrative rights and stuff like that.

Thanks!

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
these instructions are going to be a little fuzzy as i don't have win7 in front of me but.

right click on one of the locked folders and choose properties, then go to the security tab. then you should see a list of users that have access to that folder. there should be an add or edit button. click that and add the users group and give that group full permissions to the folder and press apply. the lock should disappear

Moshi

Moshi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
I do not clearly understand what I should do as I already have some user groups added in there and all of them have full control.

Posted Image

Here is when I right click directly on disc:

Posted Image

By my amateur logic these settings should allow normal work and make those icons dissapear. But it's not like that... :D

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
on the H:\stuff folder, actually add the group called "Users" and give it full permissions and see if the icon disappears

Moshi

Moshi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Haha it works! Thank you very much!