Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Upgrading Dell E1505 laptop Ram

• Please log in to reply

clarec

clarec

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I know this sounds stupid, but I need to know where the ram is located in the Dell Inspiron E1505. I am going to go from 1 gig to 2 gigs. I know what the max is but need to know if I can do this myself or pay the guys at Best Buy to do it for me. I am a 65 plus woman and have built computers (not lately) but never have I been inside a laptop. Help? If the ram is located under the keyboard I'll pay the $30.00. If it's a matter of a couple of screws, I will do it. Thank you in advance.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Bottom of laptop there should be a latch with a screw marked with either Ram or Memory

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
Hold on,

~reaches over the desk and grabs my E1505 and flips it over~ Bottom of the machine, depending on year there may be a Windows COA on the panel. Also it maybe difficult to see it but there is a little ram symbol on it or next to the screw that will remove it. On the note of how much the unit will take.

2gb is the Bios limitation on it. Although you could by 2x2gb modules it won't work since the BIOS is capped at 2. Also to upgrade to 2gb you will need to buy 2x1gb modules and replace both 512mb modules in the machine right now. You can pop the cover off if you only see one then you only need to buy one, if you see two then you will need to buy two.

~removes panel~ Both dimm slots are accessible from this panel so no removing the keyboard required.

EDIT :::

I stand corrected, after some reading / more research the Dell E1505 will handle upto 4gb of memory with a max of 3.25gb of usable memory. So you can put 2x2gb sticks of ram in the machine and it should work, I haven't tried this my self but it seems others have with success. It was noted that upon installing more than 2gb of ram the machine will look like it won't post right off the bat, but from the contrib of users say waiting 1-2 minutes the machine posted as it was noticing the increase in ram, after that initial boot the machine booted as it should every time thereafter (without delay).

So now to save some money and go and by a 2x2gb kit for mine. I've been waiting to upgrade to 4gb from 2gb.

Edited by amw_drizz, 22 October 2010 - 09:25 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Every laptop I have worked on in the last 5 years the memory slots have been located on the bottom. Now that's not to say the newer ones may be a little different but then again I haven't worked on many new ones.
:D

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Every laptop I have worked on in the last 5 years the memory slots have been located on the bottom. Now that's not to say the newer ones may be a little different but then again I haven't worked on many new ones.
:D

My IBM ThinkPad t40/R51 Frankenstein has one underneath the keyboard and one via access panel on the bottom of the case. So I've seen them with a 'hidden' slot under the keyboard.

Edited by amw_drizz, 22 October 2010 - 08:59 AM.

clarec

clarec

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Well, I said it was a stupid question. I didn't reply right away because I was removing screws. Turns out it is NOT under the keyboard and is too easy to get to. I have installed two 512 modules installed and that is why it takes until tomorrow noon to get to where I want to go. Thanks to all of you and I'll just run out to Best Buy and take care of this situation. Although, I am going to start with 2 gig modules. My social security check doesn't go far. I have another question but I don't think this forum is the place for it. Dell can't or won't help me. They only want to sell, sell, sell. And I'm not buying.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

I have another question but I don't think this forum is the place for it. Dell can't or won't help me. They only want to sell, sell, sell. And I'm not buying.

If it has to do with this system then go ahead and ask. We can work with it here. :D

clarec

clarec

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Ok, here is the other question and thank you. I have tried repeatedly to upgrade from IE7 to IE8 and nothing works. I mean, nothing works. I have to roll back to 7 to get anything to function. What's up with that and what do I do about it?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you going through Microsoft to do the upgrade?
When you say nothing works what exactly do you mean? Does IE start and then no way to go to a site?
Is there even a IE that appears at all when you click on it to run?
Does computer stop responding?