Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Using Host Files to block websites doesn't work. Help please.

• Please log in to reply

shoichi

shoichi

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I've been trying to find a way to block some websites but for some reason, doing it through host files does not work.

I right click on Notepad on the Start/Programs list and then run Notepad as Administrator. Then a blank Notepad page opens. I go to Open and then open a host file that I had previously tried to use to block a site. I am trying to block facebook on my work computer so I'll just paste the text that I've added to try to block facebook.

"
# For example:
#
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

# localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.
# 127.0.0.1 localhost
# ::1 localhost
127.0.0.1 facebook.com

"

Then I save the file and close it. I open facebook on a browser and it loads and opens. I search facebook on google and open the its page and it opens. This is what's SO frustrating because I've searched the web for a whole week and keep coming across page after page that says the way to block a site is through host files. I follow instructions and still can't block the sites I want blocked.

I did read on a blog that when you're trying to use host files, your anti viruses and firewalls must be shut off. But I don't know how accurate that information is since I was never able to find more information on it.

Hope someone here can help me.

Thank you in advance for your time. I'd really appreciate any help.

Shoichi.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Why do you need to block websites anyway?

shoichi

shoichi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Why do you need to block websites anyway?

Because I need to :D

After reading my question, do you know why sites aren't being blocked?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
With all due respect, "because I need to" isn't a valid answer and doesn't help your case.

In order to comply and prevent a breach on my part of the Terms of Use of this website ( http://www.geekstogo...tion=boardrules ) I would appreciate it if you could please state why you need to block websites.

shoichi

shoichi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

With all due respect, "because I need to" isn't a valid answer and doesn't help your case.

In order to comply and prevent a breach on my part of the Terms of Use of this website ( http://www.geekstogo...tion=boardrules ) I would appreciate it if you could please state why you need to block websites.

Kids are spending too much time on certain websites instead of doing homework. That's the reason. :D

Mohsin Mohammed

Mohsin Mohammed

• Pip
  • 1 posts
@kneel jones!: Its good u dont know and r trolling arnd

add a "www"in the beginning. So thats www.facebook.com. U can also use ping www.facebook.com in the cmd prompt and find the ip and input that instead but i suggest u go with www.facebook.com. I know facebook is [bleep] addictive and using in hosts might help..

This post was deliberately posted so that any googler might find it useful. Sorry for replying to a really old post topic

Edited by Mohsin Mohammed, 19 August 2011 - 04:13 PM.