Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

xp blank screen with blinking cursor

• Please log in to reply

stacefacee_

stacefacee_

• Pip
  • 2 posts
i have a hp laptop, i turn it on and after the startup screen it turns black with an underscore blinking cursor. how do i fix this without discs and f8 (safe mode) does not work.

Edited by stacefacee_, 22 October 2010 - 06:20 AM.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Does any mode in F8 work.
Try if you have not Last Known Good.
Try VGA mode
When did ths problem arise. Have you had other problems before this.
Have you recently installed a program or changed a driver for some device.
Go F2 or it may be another key, it will tell you on the startup sreen - Press ? for setup.
Is the HDD the first boot device.
If it is the CD/DVD - change it to the HDD as first boot device.
DO YOU HAVE data you need to save. If so I can send you a program to do that OR you can take the HDD out of the laptop, normally just two or three screws on a cover plate on the base of the laptop and place it in a 2.5 enclosure, connect it to another computer and then recover your personal data by just opening it as an external drive.
It maybe the case that you will have to use the recovry parition or the recovery disc if you have it, put do not go down that road just yet.

wanyi

wanyi

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Yes, as long as main lead in the building under, the community has hope. My heart seethed again, my blood in the chest burned again. Although a few words of simple, summarize briefly, one expresses our bitter to still do not solution for several major problems. The lamp is community, like the direction of community, like the beams of the community. In the community, there will be a better tomorrow!

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
wanyi
Will your post assist with the problem?

stacefacee_

stacefacee_

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
the only key i can press is esc for startup menu, then it goes straight to the black screen. i would like to back up my files before i get it fixed, any simple ideas?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

DO YOU HAVE data you need to save. If so I can send you a program to do that OR you can take the HDD out of the laptop, normally just two or three screws on a cover plate on the base of the laptop and place it in a 2.5 enclosure, connect it to another computer and then recover your personal data by just opening it as an external drive.
It maybe the case that you will have to use the recovery parition or the recovery disc if you have it, put do not go down that road just yet.