Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't Upgrade to IE8

• Please log in to reply

clarec

clarec

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have a Dell Inspiron E1505 with XP Pro sp3. I have tried repeatedly to upgrade to IE8 and nothing works. I mean nothing. It boots and sits there. No amount of clicking opens anything. The computer just locks up or freezes. I have to power down manually which can't be good for it. Any suggestions?

btw, the computer came with XP and when it crashed last year I upgraded to XP Pro sp3 so this is not the oringinal OS. I'm still running IE7 because of this and I'm afraid Microsoft is going to stop with the support soon.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
It is the same OS.
The machine probably came with XP SP1 or SP2. All you've done is add a service pack. It doesn't make it a new version of Windows.

You may want to try uninstalling IE7, restarting the computer, then upgrading to IE8. You don't need IE7 to go to IE8. You just need Sp2 or later.