Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows XP takes long to boot up

• Please log in to reply

zera

zera

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
Hello,

I have a problem with a PC that takes to long to boot up, but it seriously takes ages to boot up.
Windows logo with loading bar - ages, little less takes up the startup.

It is an Office PC, what means nothing special is installed, only Windows XP (genuine), MS Office 2003 (genuine), adobe reader, NOD 32 and that should be all.
So I scanned it with eset, malwarebytes etc.. found some nasty stuff but I deleted it all and its clean. But no help from it.
I also deleted "prefetch" directory content and done Defragmention of the drive.
Now I have cloned the hard drive to another one and windows boots normally, that is - fast :D

My questions and major problem is, Why its not booting normally on main drive ?
I done some scans and diagnostics like: HDD Life, some Crystal something and HDD Scan, now, they are not showing any BB's or Reallocated Sectors.
Main drive is Hitachi 640GB, cloned drive was Western Digital 250GB.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Zera

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Go Control Panel, User Accounts and establish a new account.
How long does it now take to load to that account.
Both SATA HDD or what.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I don't know what is the source of the problem but had I been in your position I would have formatted the Hitachi and re-clone to it the WD.

zera

zera

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Go Control Panel, User Accounts and establish a new account.
How long does it now take to load to that account.
Both SATA HDD or what.

Hey there, I'm not really sure how this should help out, there, is only one account and as I said, its not only the startup its the boot thats taking so [bleep] long.
Both HDD's are SATA.

I don't know what is the source of the problem but had I been in your position I would have formatted the Hitachi and re-clone to it the WD.

I'm like 50% sure if I do a low level format on Hitachi and reclone it, that it should work. But I don't get why is it like this, if HDD has no errors or what so ever.. :/ What could be the cause ?

Thanks for helping out!

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Like I said, I don't know what the source of problem is but when I suggested to reformat the Hitachi one of my goals was to see what happens afterward and, by that, to learn what was at the root of the problem. Fixing computers involve a lot of trial-and-error and elimination procedures because very often we cannot pinpoint the problem at first glance.

zera

zera

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Like I said, I don't know what the source of problem is but when I suggested to reformat the Hitachi one of my goals was to see what happens afterward and, by that, to learn what was at the root of the problem. Fixing computers involve a lot of trial-and-error and elimination procedures because very often we cannot pinpoint the problem at first glance.

Yes I agree. I was just wondering can someone explain the reason if he encountered it before in the past.
Anyhow thanks for fast replys and help! Really appreciate it.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
If it was a "clone" in the usual accepted term. A complete IMAGE then I can only presume the setup for the problem drive.
May I suggest, if you have not already tried it connecting the Hitachi using the SATA that you did have to the WD, just in case, although you will know that it is very unusual for SATA cables to fault, unlike the old IDE ribbon cables.
Is the SATA Hitachi connected, when it is the primary SATA - boot to SATA 0 on the motherboard.
Other than that, despite the scans, one would suspect the HDD itself or the BIOS settings for that drive.

I read it firstly, as boot a little slow, but then Windows takes a long time to load.

zera

zera

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

If it was a "clone" in the usual accepted term. A complete IMAGE then I can only presume the setup for the problem drive.
May I suggest, if you have not already tried it connecting the Hitachi using the SATA that you did have to the WD, just in case, although you will know that it is very unusual for SATA cables to fault, unlike the old IDE ribbon cables.
Is the SATA Hitachi connected, when it is the primary SATA - boot to SATA 0 on the motherboard.
Other than that, despite the scans, one would suspect the HDD itself or the BIOS settings for that drive.

I read it firstly, as boot a little slow, but then Windows takes a long time to load.

It was on the same cable. And yes, it is connected to SATA 1, as SATA 0 is not on the motherboard. (some start with 0 some with 1)

Anyhow, I have formated HITACHI, and recloned it with WD, now it boots fast that is normal.
Still no ideas what was the cause of it :/
Only thing that comes to my mind is this; Hitachi is 640GB's, the user thats using the PC is doing word documents, presentations in PP, tables in Excel, basicly just using Office and Internet. By doing that he uses like 10 GB's max of the drive, and there is to much FREE space on the BIG Hard Drive, but that should not be a problem, or should it be ? Maybe something to do with the Indexing files etc.. or something like that ?? I also tryed turning that OFF on both partitions, but didn't do any good.
I really have no ideas :S

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
I suspect something with the hard drive such as bad sectors.