Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

momiter goes into stand by mode

• Please log in to reply

steveba

steveba

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
i started having problems with my monitor going into stand by mode and not showing the windows screen only option was to reboot and i bought a new monitor still the same took the tower for repair and got a new case and mother board fitted the grarpics card is a geforce 9400 and the system has windows reinstalled and all drivers were reinstalled and i am at a loss what is wrong with it any advice would be helpful

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try this...select power options in the control panel...then power schemes tab...set all to never...OK your way out and reboot

steveba

steveba

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hi that is the first thing i have tried and 3d mark runs fine also checked for any hardware conflicts and there are none

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,772 posts
Under what circumstances is the monitor going into stand by mode, when it is in use and if so when gaming, whilst on the internet or office work etc or is it when it is left unattended?
What is the make and model of the psu, how old is it and have you got or can you loan a known good psu to try.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
it may be a setting for power saving on the monitor itself

steveba

steveba

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
HI here is the link for the computer tower http://www.amazon.co...8376005&sr=1-14 ATX / Micro ATX Computer with 650w PSU Black & Silver

it has had a new mother board fitted and the graphic card is a g force 9600 gt

the moniter goes to stand by and the hard drive is still working tried a new monitor and cable same problem and 3d mark works also prim95 test done no softwae conflicts tried changing to new power surge extention lead and the adaptor for the monitor was checked also in power managerment monitor and tower set to never to go into stand by mode

states no signal imput check video cable

came up with same message with a new monitor and cable
the monitor can stay on from 25mins to over a hour and the monitor will not switch back on still states same message and only way to restart the monitor is to rebooot the system
checked for any over heating of fans but all seems ok can include a screen print if needed

Edited by steveba, 29 October 2010 - 12:58 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,772 posts
I noticed in the photographs of your case that there is no case fan for extraction, also for the price you paid the quality of the psu is questionable I`m afraid 650W means nothing if it is unstable.
Download Speedfan from here http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php run it and post a screenshot so your temps and voltages can be checked, the trouble with having no extraction is that the warm air inside the case is simply being moved around over your components, it could even be causing your Ram to heat up possibly leading to the issue you are having.

steveba

steveba

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
<< Voltage, Temperature and Fans >>>
> Hardware Monitoring : Winbond W83627DHG
> Processor Voltage : 1.33 V
> VIN1 : 1.81 V
> +3.3V Voltage : 3.26 V
> +5V Voltage : 4.90 V
> +12V Voltage : 11.15 V
> VIN5 : 0.96 V
> VIN6 : 1.19 V
> SYSTIN : 27 °C
> CPUTIN : 30 °C
> AUXTIN : 19.5 °C
> CPUFANIN0 : 1985 rpm
> Processor Intel Celeron : Sensor DTS
> Core 1 : 31 °C
> Core 2 : 31 °C
> NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT : nVidia Driver
> Temperature : 38 °C
> Temperature (GPU) : 39 °C
> Fan : 35%
> Hard Disk Monitoring : S.M.A.R.T
> Hard Disk ST3250310AS : 34 °C

steveba

steveba

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
i got the computer working fine it had been om for 5 hours and not had any problems as yet

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,772 posts

<< Voltage, Temperature and Fans >>>
> Hardware Monitoring : Winbond W83627DHG
> Processor Voltage : 1.33 V
> VIN1 : 1.81 V
> +3.3V Voltage : 3.26 V
> +5V Voltage : 4.90 V
> +12V Voltage : 11.15 V > VIN5 : 0.96 V
> VIN6 : 1.19 V
> SYSTIN : 27 °C
> CPUTIN : 30 °C
> AUXTIN : 19.5 °C
> CPUFANIN0 : 1985 rpm
> Processor Intel Celeron : Sensor DTS
> Core 1 : 31 °C
> Core 2 : 31 °C
> NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT : nVidia Driver
> Temperature : 38 °C
> Temperature (GPU) : 39 °C
> Fan : 35%
> Hard Disk Monitoring : S.M.A.R.T
> Hard Disk ST3250310AS : 34 °C

I believe the +12v rail on your psu may be your problem here but you may want to have happyrock or another Tech confirm this, if the +12v rail drops below 11.40v you can have all sorts of issues.

Edited by phillpower2, 31 October 2010 - 09:16 AM.

Advertisements

steveba

steveba

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
thanks i will let you know if the problem starts again

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,772 posts
Thanks for the update and fingers crossed you do not have a recurrence.

steveba

steveba

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
got the same problem back again and what i did was from another website started task manager opened a new tab and put in explorer.exe and hit run the computer worked no problem for 7 to 8 hours till i shut it down

steveba

steveba

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
it was the geforce graphics card the motherboard fitted is a MICRO-STAR MS-7387 what would be the best graphics card to use with it mainly for gaming

Edited by steveba, 04 November 2010 - 06:19 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,772 posts
Heres a decent budget card for you to look at http://www.novatech....ch/46701gb.html
There are better cards available but as you never stated a budget I kept the price low although this card will do what you require, have a look at the reviews.