Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

xp pro sp 3 ie 8 slow, freeze, not responding

• Please log in to reply

Darlene Stillar

Darlene Stillar

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
xp pro - version 2002 - sp3 - AMD Athlon 64 x 2 Dual - Core Processor 5000+ - 2.60 GHz - 1.87 GB of RAM -
ASUS M2N68-AM - Runs slow, freezes, ie8 not responding often, many: sending Error Reports, doesn't want to shut down every other day, have run a few antivirus (Ccleaner, Spybot), and comes up clean including my internet cables own Security Package; I have a linksys modem and that includes firewall and another in the package. Nothing wireless. Chkdsk of C: ran fine. There are some programs in add/remove I cannot remove. I have the original xp pro CD however it is sp2 and i now have sp3 installed. And the person who put together this computer installed Glary Products which I have used the registry repair a few times and read on Computer Hope (this is how I found you) to NEVER use a registry repair (they don't work and can cause problems. ty

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Hi Darlene Stillar ... ;) ..:D
FYI...Ccleaner is not a AV program at all...and spybot s & d only catches about 25% of the lowest forms of malware...what other AV programs do you have and have you updated them and run them

go to START..RUN...type in MSCONFIG...then click on OK or press ENTER..
click on START UP TAB...uncheck everything EXCEPT your AV and firewall...if its a laptop you have to be careful about what you uncheck or your touch pad and wireless and things like that will not function for you...

the next thing we are going to do is turn off indexing ....its a resource hog and if you aren't searching for things on your computer 10 times a day it will only slow down your system....

click on start...my computer...right click on C: drive....properties...on the general tab..uncheck ...allow indexing on this drive and compress drive...

next get diskeeper lite here...

after installing it...click on the icon...close the "nag" screen...click on your c drive to select it ...then down towards the bottom ...click on defragment now...first time you use it it may take 15 to 30 minutes to complete...do it about every two weeks and it will complete in about 7 minutes...
reboot and tell me hows its running...

Darlene Stillar

Darlene Stillar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
ty AV stands for? Should I delete Ccleaner and Spybot? Seems! I have been pretty well protected. Have a Security Package from my Internet Provider called Cogeco in southern ontario. On computer/properties/sartup tab I don't know what are the AV or firewall programs. :D Turning off indexing: I downloaded an indexing program but nowhere can i find a way to remove it. ty again i hope this makes sense, it does to me ;)

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
leave ccleaner....
AV stands for anti virus
what exactly is the name of your AV program/s

Darlene Stillar

Darlene Stillar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
spybot SD, uninstalled AVAST and my Internet Service Provider: Cogeco Security Services that has firewall, AV, email scanner, etc. I have a firewall in my router and there's a firewall with my Cogeco Security Services package. Did a search and got Paretologic Anti-Virus PLUS.msi Also have Glary registry and repair utilities put in by person who upgraded this computer. That's all i know. ty
Found and turned off indexing. but i have one at the bottom near my clock that runs on start up and I cannot find an uninstall for it anywhere. It's closed right now and don't think it has a name anyway. ty

Edited by Darlene Stillar, 24 October 2010 - 03:56 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you can only have one firewall....if you have more than one they will fight for control and either bog down the system or cause it to hang...disable all but one firewall...
the same for AV programs...only one should be active at a time

Darlene Stillar

Darlene Stillar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I have Linksys-G 2.4GHz 54Mbps Broadband Router. Is the firewall in this router very good? I have said I have one in my Internet Service provider called Cogeco Cable company. Not sure which one to keep. ty Can you please recommend a free AV program. Turned off service providers firewall. Will let you know. Downloaded Firefox. It allowed microsoft fix it to install. Starting to think it's a bootup problem. I'm using firefox right now but when i tried to play MSN gaming zone games it said i needed ie. I use it all the time. Seems to be okay with both so far. tyvm again

Edited by Darlene Stillar, 27 October 2010 - 08:31 AM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
lets access event viewer click start...run and type

eventvwr.msc /s press enter

double click on System and look for red Errors and a time of last attempt of normal boot. Please post a screenshot of the errors...

if you don't know how to post a screenshot...go here...
try either avast or avg for a AV...install it update and run it

Darlene Stillar

Darlene Stillar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Cannot find the option to 'upload' or it isn't there :D

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
sorry...thats my old canned this is the way to attach screenshots now

Darlene Stillar

Darlene Stillar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
using firefox Browse/desktop/file/attachments = Error No file was selected to upload. Tried a few times tyvm